CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Early Engine?

I was about to start going through this engine and thought I’d see if I could get some help first. It looks to be an early model but I can’t see the number until I remove it from the tank (could it be a “J”)? Unfortunately it’s missing the pull knob, which I assume would have been a brown knob (I only have a black one in my spares). I don’t know yet if the recoil spring is broken. It’s also missing the condenser. Anyone know what condenser is correct for these early ones? A picture or number stamped on the back of the condenser would be helpful. Looks to be missing the steel type engine cooling baffle as well but I think I might have one somewhere.

56A4BE01-157A-4E14-AB4F-DA9239212EC4.jpeg

BDCB4307-8161-4867-8A36-EEB4BEA77715.jpeg

DCE3F451-7681-45CE-A1EF-CF4BFC4E4224.jpeg

BDED687D-4458-4F92-BA9F-D7AD07C86444.jpeg

That's one of the first 6000ish engines, it's possible it might not have a Model stamped into it, it's certainly not a Model J as it has the remains of the pump it was once part of.

The capacitor would have been the slightly larger diameter one.

SAM_1551a.jpg.06686f508a2befe285f26b53f09202ac.jpg SAM_1544a.jpg.0a215a931b81a2b0a8895255c4ce3496.jpg

The starter pull would have been the lacquered/varnished wood type, could you not try stripping the paint of a later one?

David

Thanks for the photos! I’ve tried stripping the paint before but the black goes deep into the grain. I wasn’t Very successful at getting it to look good. I may try to make one.  I wonder if a newer style condenser would work. I don’t have a you the ones like in your photo.  I found a cooling baffle so that’s one part down...

What would the rest of the pump have looked like?

OK, do you know anyone with a wood turning lathe?

Any condenser from an O&R would work, if an early style one had failed in service it would have been replaced with the later one. I've used modern parts too;

SAM_6226a.jpg.8b4195a498499a312a36b16b653a017a.jpg

The rest of the pump is the same as the Comet, Orline, Petro etc with the small rotary vane type pump, the type with the rubber impeller that always seems to be knackered. Petro version shown below;

SAM_9651a.jpg.928d889e6b2ed0975a9da892b1cd452d.jpg

David

Yes it's my Petro Chug-A-Pump, some more pictures of the wreck I started with in this thread;

I really need to update that thread, too late tonight though.

David

Wow, that’s quite the overhaul. It turned out really nice! I didn’t know Petro Powered Products made anything with O&R other than the really cool drill.

I’m kicking myself to this day for missing a good opportunity on a drill. I forgot about the chainsaw those are really neat too.

Here is another pump that your engine could have been part of, there is no branding on this one (if it had a decal it's long gone). The engine SN of this one is #005790.

SAM_1553b.jpg.0f3ee029dda0a3f557626c32452ec913.jpg

David

Looks in nice condition, hopefully it will be a straightforward rebuild, I still haven't got round to trying those new seals in my early engine, work keeps getting in the way.

David

Overall it’s in pretty nice condition. I am going to need to come up with a solution for the induction case seal, it was deteriorated. 

That looks in nice condition, looks barely used, you seem to be missing a screw for the cooling baffle.

We need to find someone that can make a few replicas of the lacquered pull knob.

David

19 hours ago, factory said:

We need to find someone that can make a few replicas of the lacquered pull knob.

Someone out there has a huge stash of these knobs from the recent eBay parts lots That sold.  I’m trying to find someone local with a lathe to see what it would cost to turn a couple. If I had a lathe I’d do it...

I tried & failed to win one of the lots with a couple of these in too, ended up risking buying a couple of the expensive NOS ones in black (with ePay's global shipping scrapping programme) that another seller had.

David