Rayp

Briggs & Stratton engine cowling

Has anyone got a spare cowling for a 5HP Briggs & Stratton vertical crankshaft engine (like that in the photo).  I think the part no. was 392277 and is now 490192?

P1010570.JPG

Thanks Nigel - that will be great if you have one.  I couldn't believe it when after refuelling I pulled the starting rope and the whole cowling can off.  The 3 bolt holes had 'enlargened' so I put some repair washers on, bending the two front ones to fit the curvature of the cowling and managed to almost finish the paddock I was mowing when it came off again. It seems to be a problem with Hayter 21s that even with spring washers bolts need more frequent checking to ensure that the vibration of the engine has not loosed them.

Ray

Hello again Nigel.  Thank you very much for hunting out the cowling, but regrettably it doesn't look like it will be a suitable replacement.  I have now taken some photos of my Cowling (which I should have done in the first place!) and they are attached.  Yours seems to be a differing shape and have the fixings in different positions.  You can see in the photos that all 3 fixing holes have 'enlarged' and a crack is appearing above the one next to the throttle  clip so I think its days are numbered.  I'll have to look out for a scrapped engine from a Hayterette or another 21.

P1010666.JPG

P1010664.JPG

P1010665.JPG

P1010663.JPG

P1010662.JPG