Drumnagorrach

Oxford Allen Scythe

hi folks just signed up after buying an Allen Scythe . Any information would be appreciated . It has a Kohler engine fitted which looks original ,maybe the engine wasn't painted gold originally but it is now .

any ideas what model and year it's likely to be ?  Is there a source of parts ? the tyres are perished , I thought of motorcycle trials front tyres , but maybe something more original is available .

I bought it to cut rushes in a couple of fields so it's here to work but if I can tidy it up at the same time it's no bad thing .

was the machine originally red with with cream/off white wheels because the only model fitted with a Kohler K91T fitted was the last TS model made about 1970/1972 engine parts are available from Meetens at Preston who do an excellent mail order service  as regards tyres there is a firm called China Parts in county Durham there is also Villiers Parts but George can be a bit troublesome at times so I personally use him but many have had good service

looking at your picture I would say at a guess it has been re-engined to remove flywheel you will need to make a puller mine have 2 tapped UNC holes to draw it off

Flywheel now off , any figures for resistance in coil ?

just warmed the flywheel taper are and on the opposite side of the backplate to the points is a 1/2 inch hole that a wee punch can contact the flywheel , a few gentle taps and the flywheel came off 😃

Edited by Drumnagorrach

Not having any resistance values for the coil and condenser to check against  ,although the coil has very little at .9 ohms and the condenser seems like it's open circuit, I've got to assume they're duff .

I found a coil cheaply from China ,nothing in UK , but I'm struggling to find the correct condenser outside of US . And there lies the problem , a $9 part but a $15 shipping cost and then there's customs and the damn post office who ransom your part until you've paid the duty and then charge you to collect the duty .

So , anyone know where I can find one in the UK ? it's unusual in that it has a screw connection on the end and a mounting bracket at 90 deg to the axis of the cylindrical body .

9 hours ago, Stormin said:

Try Meetens at Preston. They're good for Kohler parts.

Thanks ,I did try them but they could only offer to fit new innards into my old casing for £28 ,it's only a condenser so if I can't get one cheaply from the US ,I'll fit a car condenser outside by the points.