phil1964

my viĺiers mk10 v engine

I got this engine about 10 years ago it was given to me by a farm owner.i was in a sorry state,i started to take it apart and just gave up on it and put all the bits in a box and left it.i even cut the flywheel up because i wanted the centre part for something else.anyway I put some photos of a brockhouse engine i took out of a hoemate 20 odd years ago and someone mentioned about the villiers mk10 engine.because i had cut up the flywheel up i was going to offer it as spares but someone said that the engine was quite rare because it was a old one.he could tell buy the v carb its got.i know nothing about the engine.i just know how to fix them.anyway I have started  to take the rest apart,clean and polish a few things up but now i think the project is on hold because i need a fly wheel  part no  R56/A.55.if theres anyone who as a spare flywheel i would be very greatful if you could let me have it.

i would like to finish it off because its a nice little engine.i don't know if i should polish the brass flywheel if i can get one

or not polish and just put the cowling back on.anyway here are some photos,

IMG_20201106_100113.jpg

IMG_20201106_100144.jpg

IMG_20201107_075124.jpg

IMG_20201107_074755.jpg

IMG_20201107_074517.jpg

IMG_20201107_074449.jpg

IMG_20201106_084547.jpg

IMG_20201107_074746.jpg

IMG_20201113_095908.jpg

IMG_20201114_162619.jpg

Hello and welcome from another Villiers fan! I've got a MK12 off a Monro tiller now driving a compressor, a C12 on a 2" centrifugal pump, a MK15 (resto thread is on here), A Mk20 off a cement mixer (currently in bits), 2 ex Air Ministry MK25s and a MK25HS.

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but I don't thing running it without the cowl would be a good idea, not for any length of time anyway. It's designed to duct cooling air over the cylinder.

I have a manual that covers the MK10 in PDF form, if you PM me your email I'll send you a copy.

Edited by mattblack

Hi matt,thanks for the offer,i already have a manual,its a flywheel i don't have so if i cannot sort one it will be for just bits,

I have decided to stop the project on this engine because I cannot find parts I need so the engine will be used for parts, if anyone is interested in any parts then please email me .

Right, according to the May 1956 MK10 &12 and MK15 parts books the part number for the flywheel with cam and extractor nut but less fan is R.56

The March 1966 MK15 parts book gives a different part number, this could be just a number change for the same part?

I sent a email to a guy called george from villierspares.co.uk and he just replied with 

we have a lot of old bronze F,weels but
cant see one amrked R56
now for a company who sells villiers spares you would of thought  there stock they have would of been listed as parts from a specific engines not listed as bronze coloured fly wheels.lol
i have a question if i can find the parts  and its finished and running what would the engine be worth.i dont want to spend £100 and its only worth £30.
i already have £20 in it all ready.
also can anyone tell me why do they call this engine a v engine,do they make a normal model
to.i just read a post with a member showing a new engine he got and asked the what's it worth question and someone replied is it a v engine.

As far as value goes it's worth what someone wants to pay for it, I paid £64 for my MK15 (first one I bought), my MK12 was £10 and my MK25HS £15. The MK20 was £34 delivered IIRC. The MK25's were £30 each. These are all ebay prices for complete unrestored engines. I'm happy to spend more than the engines are worth to restore them as it's my hobby, and most if not all hobbies cost money to some extent.

The 'V' engine was the designation given to wartime Villiers engines, the idea being that the company name and address didn't appear on them so if they fell into enemy hands they didn't give away information that could be used to locate targets for bombing. It's interesting that your engine has a separate plate with the Villiers name on, maybe it was a surplus engine sold after the war?