phil1964

My two stroke brockhouse spryte engine

I have had this engine for over 20 years,i took it out of a old machine,the machine then was all rusty and had seen better days,i took the engine home and took a look at it. usual thing no spark .i remember taking it apart,cleaning the points and carb putting some fuel in it and it started up.anyway its been  under the bench for the last 20 years and with this lock down i had a bit of a tidy up and got it out. checked over and same thing. no spark again so off comes the flywheel and points cleaned and wayyhayy nice good spark.i put some fuel in the tank and it leaked.fuel tap cork had dried out so that was leaking.carb was leaking from the tickler anyway aĺ sorted. but noticed a small crack on the round bush which is soldered to the tank were the tap screws into.i tried fixing it with plumbers solder but the tank gets to hot on the collet and it works but the joint is to thin so im going to try lead when i can find some.

i don't 2have the flywheel cowling because it had a big hole in it and it was mostly rusted away.anyway over this past month i have been trying to find out about this engine i couldn't find much on it and then found out i was spelling brockhouse wrong lol anyway its off a 1945 bmb hoemate 2 if anyone is looking for a working engine for there hoemate you know where one is. i would like to swap it for something bigger for me to mess about .i don't mind if the engine isnt running as long as all the parts are there.i do have a video of the engine running buti cannot upload it because its big i will see if i can resize it.

IMG_20201003_100845.jpg

IMG_20201003_100901.jpg

IMG_20201003_100827.jpg

Edited by phil1964

:WMOM: Phil.

My late father would be working for Brockhouse, in Crossens, Southport when that engine was fitted in a Hoemate. It was also fitted in the Corgi motorcycle that was built there, along with the Indian Brave. Though the Brave had a 250cc engine.

i don't think the engine model i have was fitted in a motorbike.i bet the barrel,head,piston would of been used but not the engine its self.do you know what colour the engine was or was it just left normal .

are these engines rare,i don't see a lot of spares on ebay.do you think is it worth stripping down and cleaning and painting as a project or just left alone.

Your engine definitely is not for a bike. As for being rare, I would say certainly. I have never seen one before. It's up to you as to painting. Either way painted or not, it's worth retaining for it's rarity.

You could enquire at Meetens, Preston about spares. They do spares for all kinds of engines and may be able to help. Google for contact info.

Your correct about the Corgi engine, Matt. Also the Braves were a 248cc 4 stroke single. My father was a test rider and used to take them to a place near Horwich, Lancs, to try and break them. The Braves were not a success and my father finally left Brockhouse because they wouldn't update the suspension.