pmackellow

O&R model 60

Hello Don

I have enlarged that part of the sheet, it only lists what fuels to use, not the actual fuel mix ratio, sorry

Looking through my O&R literature I can't find a mix ratio for any of the aero engines...

P7020016.JPG

Unfortunately the original instructions are no help for the fuel mix, as they wanted to sell you pre-mixed fuels, which since O&R and the Cheminol Corp no longer exist isn't much use to anyone. :banghead:

David

Hi All,

I have one that I will be fixing the points on to get consistent runs out of, I got a reply about fuel ect from another site, I have listed the reply below. The whole points housing is very loose on the crank case and floats around while running.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Looks like you are the proud owner of a fairly early model Ohlsson & Rice 60. The reason I say "fairly early" is due to the small exhaust port and the side port air intake. Possibly pre-war, but just as likely early post war.

The engine looks like it is complete. It still has needle valve and fuel tank, ignition points assembly, both prop washers, and prop nut. Looks like it even has the second terminal nut for attaching the points wire. The only parts you may need are a couple of longer crankcase screws to extend through the radial mount and also three more nuts to secure the engine to the firewall.

As far as help with wiring, coil, and fuel recommendations, I would suggest that you look at the Society of Antique Modelers web page.

Society of Antique Modelers

Once you have opened the home page, scroll down the topics list on the left side of the page until you find the engines topic. Everything you ever wanted to know is there, plus the opportunity to ask questions.

I'm not too sure of name brands to suggest for the fuel and the oil that you will mix in with the fuel. In the states, a good choice is "Camp Fuel". Coleman fuel is the common name brand here. It's just low grade gasoline without alcohol. Warning: If you use any fuel that contains alcohol, you will ruin the plastic fuel tank. For oil, I use one of the synthetic oils sold at motorcycle shops for use in two-stroke motorcycles. The instructions for use with motorcycles usually suggests a 40 to 1 mix, but with the little model engines we typically use a mixture of 3 parts fuel to 1 part oil. On a well worn engine, some people even use 2:1.

I haven't searched, but the SAM site may even have a PDF of the Ohlsson instruction sheet.

Dick

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Ghosty

Hi All,
After spending the day playing around with the points bucket, I got every thing tightened up, running on an electronic ign
Cheers
Andrew

On 8/29/2021 at 5:47 AM, Ghosty said:

Hi All,

I have one that I will be fixing the points on to get consistent runs out of, I got a reply about fuel ect from another site, I have listed the reply below. The whole points housing is very loose on the crank case and floats around while running.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Looks like you are the proud owner of a fairly early model Ohlsson & Rice 60. The reason I say "fairly early" is due to the small exhaust port and the side port air intake. Possibly pre-war, but just as likely early post war.

The engine looks like it is complete. It still has needle valve and fuel tank, ignition points assembly, both prop washers, and prop nut. Looks like it even has the second terminal nut for attaching the points wire. The only parts you may need are a couple of longer crankcase screws to extend through the radial mount and also three more nuts to secure the engine to the firewall.

As far as help with wiring, coil, and fuel recommendations, I would suggest that you look at the Society of Antique Modelers web page.

Society of Antique Modelers

Once you have opened the home page, scroll down the topics list on the left side of the page until you find the engines topic. Everything you ever wanted to know is there, plus the opportunity to ask questions.

I'm not too sure of name brands to suggest for the fuel and the oil that you will mix in with the fuel. In the states, a good choice is "Camp Fuel". Coleman fuel is the common name brand here. It's just low grade gasoline without alcohol. Warning: If you use any fuel that contains alcohol, you will ruin the plastic fuel tank. For oil, I use one of the synthetic oils sold at motorcycle shops for use in two-stroke motorcycles. The instructions for use with motorcycles usually suggests a 40 to 1 mix, but with the little model engines we typically use a mixture of 3 parts fuel to 1 part oil. On a well worn engine, some people even use 2:1.

I haven't searched, but the SAM site may even have a PDF of the Ohlsson instruction sheet.

Dick

Some good advice about fuel/gas in that, definitely don't use anything containing alcohol (aka ethanol), that will include most stuff sold by petrol/gas stations, over here in the UK they can put up to 10% ethanol in it now, which is very bad for any O&R engine, it ruins plastic parts, rubber seals & the diaphragms etc, it's also hygroscopic (attracts water from the air) and will lead to corrosion.

Non ethanol fuel/gas (non-oxy) can be found for use with garden machinery, but check the label to be sure.

David

Hi All,

Just received another O&R 60, large exhaust, shown with the small exhaust behind. I will clean up, inspect and run. New one has a 1/4-32 plug instead of the 3/8" fitted to the other.

Cheers

Andrew

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by Ghosty

Hi All,

Here it is running after some clean up. Running on 3-1 mix of Coleman's fuel and SAE 30 weight oil. Fuel tank came loose in second run.

Cheers

Andrew