1967Craftsman's

My 1967 Sears/Craftsman Lawn Tractor Projects......

Hey Y'all,

This is a thread of my 1967 Craftsman tractor projects. If you have not seen them already here is a little history on em.......

Pull Start Power Unit- Although not officially mine yet, this tractor has now been 3 generations owned since new. My stepfathers grandfather bought it new in 1967 then it was passed down to my stepfathers father, then it was passed down to my stepfather. In 2018 it was resurrected and brought back to life after sitting for 25+ years under a tarp in the backyard. The very first time out at our local fairs 70th annual fair and not 100% finished yet in 2018,  it won the "Most Original Tractor" award. It is a 10 horsepower Tecumseh engine with a 3 speed plus reverse transmission. 

Electric Start Power Unit- I am the 3rd owner of this mighty fine machine, I bought it August 9th 2020/ It was for sale not too far from me in Cheshire Connecticut. I was coming home from my grandfathers house on my mothers side one day, and I spotted it on the side of the road and had to pull over to look at it since it looked exactly like the pull start Craftsman I have already. Little did I know it was for sale, and that said I HAD TO have it and is one of the main reasons. Well that and the electric start.  I went back 2 times to look at it and negotiate before finally striking a deal with the 2nd owner. The 2nd owner told me he bought it at an auction and started a restoration before he retired in  about 2007, he also told me that the first owner was a farmer. It has headlights, electric start, and also a 10 horsepower Tecumseh engine with 3 speeds and reverse. 

Here are some pictures for everybody......

tractors 1.jpeg

tractors 2.jpeg

tractors 3.jpeg

Lets start with the electric start power unit, and please keep in mind I am NOT restoring this tractor as it already was done when I bought it. I am just fixing things the previous owner did wrong or incorrectly and making it the best it could be and to my liking. My personal goal although maybe too optimistic is to hopefully win a Best In Show trophy with it when complete. August 17th 2020......Got the battery box, and front nose off and sanblasted them. 

tractor 1.jpeg

tractor 2.jpeg

tractor 3.jpeg

tractor 4.jpeg

tractor 5.jpeg

tractor 6.jpeg

Edited by 1963Craftsman's

August 25th 2020..... scrapped bubbled paint off the right side by the front of the frame and the foot rest and primered it, and primered the left foot rest as it was hardly painted. I also took the dash board off to redo it......

tractor 8.jpeg

tractor 9.jpeg

tractor 10.jpeg

tractor 11.jpeg

tractor 12.jpeg

tractor 13.jpeg

September 13th 2020..... After further inspection I noticed that something else was wrong with the paint on the hitch. It was lifting so I took it off and sandblasted it, I unfortunately do not have pictures of it blasted though. 

tractor 19.jpeg

Onto the engine now, September 14th 2020. I took off the air cleaner cover and some part on top of the motor but not sure what you call it to blast and paint them........ 

tractor 20.jpeg

tractor 21.jpeg

tractor 22.jpeg

The tractors present state on September 29th 2020...... Painting the spindles also because they were a very dark yellow that looked orange. More to come on this one at a hopefully soon but later date, stay tuned for more. Now onto the pull start power unit........

tractor 26.jpeg

tractor 27.jpeg

Now onto the pull start power unit, this is my stepfathers tractor and HE is honestly doing the work to this one. NOT me, since it is currently his and I am working on my own. I was the shower last year with it, anyways September 4th 2020...... the engine was taken off of the tractor and cleaned. I unfortunately do not have many pictures of the engine just before and after.

Before- 

motor 1.jpeg

motor 2.jpeg

motor 3.jpeg

motor 4.jpeg

August 20th 2020. My stepfather got the original deck out to fix a giant whole that his father blew through it. My stepfather said that he believed it was a big rock. 

Just dug out and partially apart...... 

deck 1.jpeg

deck 2.jpeg

deck 3.jpeg

deck 4.jpeg

deck 5.jpeg

October 4th 2020- The engine was put back on the tractor after a months time, and the deck was also put back on the tractor after about 25 years. These pictures were taken a couple weeks later on October 17th. 

tractor 1.jpeg

tractor 2.jpeg

tractor 3.jpeg

tractor 4.jpeg

tractor 5.jpeg

Now that the tractor is done, here are a few pictures of it with the deck on it. The first picture was taken November 5th 2020, and this is the day we actually took it out for the first time for a ride since reinstalling the deck and the engine. We actually mowed the grass with it too for the first time in about 30 years too.

Well that is all for me right now, please stay tuned until next time.....

tractor 1.jpeg

tractor 2.jpeg

tractor 3.jpeg

tractor 4.jpeg

Hey Y'all,

it's been while but I do have more updates. Lets get back to the electric start power unit now, and unfortunately no it is still not done yet. October 17th 2020, the left fender seat and battery box are put on. 

tractor 1.jpeg

tractor 2.jpeg

Well, after seeing how good my stepdads tractor engine came out and how mine looked like crap compared to his I decided to do mine too. Soo much for JUST a front grille scratch repair and repaint. November 6th 2020, my engine was taken off the tractor and placed here. I think I'm goin' alittle overboard but it'll be worth it in the long run for me because it'll be like I want it.

Before picture.......

tractor 4.jpeg

November 7th 2020, the engine gets sanded and painted...... Note this is after only 1 coat of paint.

tractor 6.jpeg

tractor 7.jpeg

Also painted the pulley gray also while I was at it,. I already sanded it before I taped it off and painted the engine.....
after 3.jpeg

November 6th 2020,

I decided that while I have the engine off anyways, and not to mention I messed up and sprayed some yellow paint to my starter generator that I would paint that too. Plus and a 3rd reason is because it had some chipped paint spots. I decided instead of unbolting and taking the heavy generator off I would paint it right on the tractor, and that is what I did. On November 6th 2020, I taped off anything and everything so no black paint would get on the yellow like I originally did......

Before the tape.....
generator 1.jpeg

With all the tape and outside with a coat of paint on it already....... I really do appreciate everyone who is following these builds, it means a lot. Thanks!

generator 4.jpeg

Hey Y'all,

I'm back with an update on my electric power unit. December 4th 2020, I painted the pulley to the starter generator and the deck stop lever (or whatever it is called).....

tractor 1.jpg

tractor 2.jpg