Stormin

Aspera points gap.

Can anyone tell me the points gap? The gap on the Gardenmaster 85 I'm trying to sort for a friend seem to be very close. Maybe about .010thou.

Engine is an Aspera. ML30/91211.  Serial No. 400286.

The gap setting is on the cover. I'd just removed it and set it on one side. It was well tarnished and needed a good clean to read it.

Gap reset to .020 but still no spark. I have cleaned inside the flywheel and the magnets are still magnetic.

Duff coil or condenser maybe? Or is the timing out? I'll see what my mate says. Fix or scrap? He'll never use it.

Unlikely to be a timing issue as it has a keyed flywheel. Even if someone has messed with the stator positioning in its slots , mid way should be ok for test purposes. If it has a kill wire going to a kill switch on the throttle  / Governor plate, disconnect it. Also, are the points spotlessly clean? After that, you need to find someone who can test the coil and condenser.

I have 2 of these & they are a great little tool in a garden or small allotment so worth saving. I know an old guy at Worksop who can test the coils & the test machine actually got an obsolete chainsaw coil of mine working again. 

Points were removed and cleaned up. No kill switch or wire evident. I'll take a look at the stator position. I have a friend who can maybe test condenser and coil.

Could be a while before I can see him due to the virus. He and his wife have health issues.

On 12/27/2020 at 8:11 AM, Stormin said:

Points were removed and cleaned up. No kill switch or wire evident. I'll take a look at the stator position. I have a friend who can maybe test condenser and coil.

Could be a while before I can see him due to the virus. He and his wife have health issues.

if no kill wire it should run but you wont be able to stop unless you unplug the wire from the plug. i suspect the coil there is a test in ohms you can do. i cant remember the measurement.hopefully someone else will help