viault

recoil starter for a 1HP O&R (from Devillaine Ouragan)

scrounged up a recoil but the decal is not the same it is a new recoil housing and all new parts. The others I have are with an eyelet not rollers its up to you but I would try to make

it as close as I can to organelle . And I don,t have the screws . just let me know .

IMG_4420[1].JPG

IMG_4421[1].JPG

IMG_4422[1].JPG

IMG_4423[1].JPG

10 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

scrounged up a recoil but the decal is not the same it is a new recoil housing and all new parts. The others I have are with an eyelet not rollers its up to you but I would try to make

it as close as I can to organelle . And I don,t have the screws . just let me know .

IMG_4421[1].JPG

That starter housing will only fit the early engines with the screws going in from the rear, they are extremely hard to find without buying another engine and should be kept for restoring early engines, I guess you haven't come across an engine with a damaged one yet. :dunno: I've had many with them damaged.

David

David your are correct never look that close I ran across it and seen it had the rollers and just grabbed it   :hide:   Hard to fine things at this point for me every thing is still in boxes.

IMG_4253[1].JPG

IMG_4230[1].JPG

On 3/9/2021 at 9:03 AM, viault said:

Dear David, thank you again. I will check the mesures as soon as possible ( not at home now...) and send you to check also on your side. I need all the parts to be sure (one starter bag is ok) I need the screws. Do not worry if I write to you next week....I am very busy and not at home. We keep in touch.    you can also contact me at md.arbonne@yahoo.fr      or voitureapedales.fr@gmail.com

Best wishes from Burgundy - Jean Pascal

Here are the screws (the nut is only required for engines with the condenser/capacitor fitted behind one of the starter screws) & a pair of starter dogs, I've sent a private message with more details.

DSC_3536a.jpg.6b58d50a468b536e633d148720584897.jpg

David

51 minutes ago, factory said:

Here are the screws (the nut is only required for engines with the condenser/capacitor fitted behind one of the starter screws) & a pair of starter dogs, I've sent a private message with more details.

DSC_3536a.jpg.6b58d50a468b536e633d148720584897.jpg

David

Dear David, i am interested to buy all the parts to restore the engine and make it running (screws, carb diaph, starter..). The reference on the starter is "Compact III". I attached some photos. Do you have the same engine complete (running) for sale? best regards - jean pascal

IMG_8915.jpg

IMG_8918.jpg

mesures.jpg

IMG_8924.jpg

The Compact III is just the series of O&R engine rated for 1HP,  earlier engine series were Compact I (¾HP) and Compact II (0.85HP). The oldest ¾HP engines didn't have Compact decal and are occasionally misdescribed as 1HP on auction sites.

Later they changed to using Series 13A for all 1HP engines with that style of starter and 13B for 1HP engines with the square spring housing type starter.

There should be a model letter or type number stamped into the mounting flange on the exhaust side of the engine (later engines had this information on the alloy cylinder plate which often go missing), I do have information for most O&R's but oddly Devillaine is not in the list.

Here is an older engine showing the type on the mounting flange.

SAM_4392b.jpg.f3a19b5ac1a830f0889147a977f54e08.jpg

And a later 13B engine with the type & serial details on the alloy cylinder plate (or cooling baffle as O&R called it).

SAM_6779a.jpg.ed20ae084a819c61ff77bec2b95be99e.jpg

Hopefully that will help with finding another engine, if you decide not to rebuild the original engine.

Personally I would try & restore the original engine, as it's part of the history of your car and the serial number tied to that engine helps date the whole thing.

David

54 minutes ago, factory said:

The Compact III is just the series of O&R engine rated for 1HP,  earlier engine series were Compact I (¾HP) and Compact II (0.85HP). The oldest ¾HP engines didn't have Compact decal and are occasionally misdescribed as 1HP on auction sites.

Later they changed to using Series 13A for all 1HP engines with that style of starter and 13B for 1HP engines with the square spring housing type starter.

There should be a model letter or type number stamped into the mounting flange on the exhaust side of the engine (later engines had this information on the alloy cylinder plate which often go missing), I do have information for most O&R's but oddly Devillaine is not in the list.

Here is an older engine showing the type on the mounting flange.

SAM_4392b.jpg.f3a19b5ac1a830f0889147a977f54e08.jpg

And a later 13B engine with the type & serial details on the alloy cylinder plate (or cooling baffle as O&R called it).

SAM_6779a.jpg.ed20ae084a819c61ff77bec2b95be99e.jpg

Hopefully that will help with finding another engine, if you decide not to rebuild the original engine.

Personally I would try & restore the original engine, as it's part of the history of your car and the serial number tied to that engine helps date the whole thing.

David

Thank you dear David, i am very impressed by your knowledge. I follow your advice and buy all the parts to restore. If I need i will contact you later to help me ... please let me know the total price and how to pay (paypal is ok for me). Kind regards from France still under lockdown

Can anyone confirm the type of engine fitted to this car? The one in this thread could either be a Model J (gearbox has clutch fitted) or a Model F (no clutch) or a newer variant of those.

Oddly the rusty one in the other thread seems to have a different engine with it, that one only has a single stage reduction gearbox fitted. :scratchhead:

David