rolloman 1

BMB Special Tractor

Good morning

Lovely  weather for the time of year  had a great day at the workshop yesterday ,  some of you will remember this machine i bought just before Lockdown number 2 . Well i thought it was time to remove it from my trailer and start to clean away years of grime and discover more about this conversion purchased a new drive belt and it fitted well .

First to get attention was the mag and the carb this done it was time to try and start it ,  2 pulls and away it  went not bad,  last ran at least 10 years ago  when i seen it first . now how to preserve what is  left of the seat and wooden mudwings as the wood worm seems to have left the building,  any ideas would be most welcome  thanks :tthankyou:

bmb gearbox revealing paint.jpg

bmb Specal very tricky throttle.jpg

Bmb special out of trailer first wash.jpg

bmb special out and running.jpg

Bmb Special swivel point.jpg

13 hours ago, rolloman 1 said:

Last ran at least 10 years ago  when i seen it first . now how to preserve what is  left of the seat and wooden mudwings as the wood worm seems to have left the building,  any ideas would be most welcome  thanks .

A very nice project.No doubt you intend to bring it back to full working order!. With that in mind, and looking at the seat condition in your first Topic back in November, I see it as/or looks like rotten plywood.

If so, scrap it and use the old parts to make a new seat. If you are going to sit on it, you've got to be comfortable, safe and able to control the machine.

There are many ways to 'age' good quality birch faced ply, while keeping it waterproof and strong. This will fit in better if you plan to only clean and 'oily rag' it.

If you go to 'back to new' looking, then you can dress the wood with varnish etc. I imagine you could also use solid elm or ash if the panels are not contoured (i.e bentwood).

I certainly would not criticise it if I saw it at a show and it ended up with a newly varnished seat. Enjoy the project.