Mattyk

Howard gem kohler k301 ignition coil

Hi.... I've recently bought a couple of howard rotavators. One being a howard gem with a kohler k301t engine. Unfortunately it has no spark and after testing with a multimeter the coil is dead. I've tryed looking for a replacement on Internet but can't seem to find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction at all? It's a tecumseh coil so I'm presuming this is the original? Thanks in advance Matt 

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Edited by Mattyk

Those coils are easily sourced  on eBay UK.....one Chinese seller has one for just over a tenner......  just  type in kohler K301 and scroll down.There is also a company called "Guy parts and service" (just type this into google).. a chap called Mike Hitchin in kenilworth  who  has the coils and also electronic ignition units ...that eliminate the points ... worth getting as the points often need cleaning on these machines.  There are also plenty of non original carbs  for theses engines available on eBay and other sites.

Fairly sure that it’s the same coil that was used  on Tecumseh, Aspera and Kirby Lawson etc on stators branded Phelon, Ducati and Marelli etc .  A scrap  pre electronic Flymo should yield one. 

Hi and thanks for the replys.... Think it reads tecumseh on the top of the coil. Still can't seem to find one on eBay. If anyone see's one put the item number on here if you would. Cheers guys. 

Screenshot_20210412-234001.png

I changed those coils several times on different kohler gems. The  circular black coil bit is removed from the metal horseshoe bit  of your old coil after removing the metal clip on the side.  The replacement coil (black circular piece only ) is pushed down onto your old metal horseshoe shaped piece .  Do not get hung up on the tecumseh  marked on the old plastic coil ....the replacement round black coils on ebay or from Guy parts and service (where i got mine) will fit down on to the metal section  you have ..once you remove the black tecumseh  piece first.

Edited by howardman

Ahhhh right OK. No wonder I've been struggling to find one, I've been looking for a direct bolt on replacement with the mounting bracket. doh.... Never had dealings with Howard rotavators and minimal knowledge on the older machines. 

Thanks for the info mate 👍 

The vintage chainsaw guys in a US based group I am in always heat these old coils in an oven. 200F (90c) for 2 hours will very often bring the spark back. Take care that the wife does not return home during this period as a back hander with a frying pan is quite memorable 😃