BabaBooey

Cottage Attic Find O&R Model Boat

We found this in the Cottage Attic, apparently it was built by my Father in Law many years ago. After some lubricating I managed to free up the motor, the spark plug is in good shape but need to test. Apparently he use to run this on lighter fluid?  I just need to figure what I am missing in order to fire it up. The plan is to leave the boat in its current Patina. I will build a new stand. Windshield parts were in the boat, I will re-affix as many of the original parts as possible. Not really looking to ever run this in water again. It never had a rudder, you only hoped it would run out of fuel before hitting anything on the lake. What's the motor missing? Are there any schematics on this site? Category for this type of project?

Many thanks to the knowledge base on this site

Cheers,

Don in Canada 

O&R 1.jpg

O&R2.jpg

O&R3.jpg

MB4.JPG

MB3.jpg

MB2.jpg

Mboat1.jpg

Looks a very nice boat with an Ohlsson 60 engine fitted.

Can you clean the ceramic part of the plug up and let us know the type, it could be either a spark-plug or glow-plug. As I can't see any points assembly fitted (would be behind the flywheel) it is more likely to be a glow-plug.

Will have to see what fuel they recommended for these, it will also be a fuel/oil mix. I can't imagine the cooling fins working very well if you are going to run this engine on it's own.

David

Definitely a glow plug then, the O&R instructions say to connect a 1.5V battery for starting only, but O&R sold their own plugs, will the Champion be different I don't know.

We still need to find out a suitable glow fuel mix, as they state to only use O&R No. 2 Fuel for glow engines.

David

Yes that is a fuel tank underneath, but I don't think it's Ohlsson supplied one. Some of these engines had a plastic fuel bowl under the carb needle valve (use of the wrong fuel will destroy these) and others had a metal tank that fitted behind the crankcase.

The Octura information I have mentions glow fuel containing castor oil. I can't really advise on the ratio as it would depend on the performance required. The introduction of in glow fuels caused some problems with Ohlsson engines and could cause catastrophic failure i.e. the con-rod bending in early engines, they changed to using steel con-rods which would then cause the head to be blown off instead. :scratchhead:

If you interested in the history of the early Ohlsson model engines and the eventual problems when glow fuel was introduced, then the reprinted articles from 1966 in the 1999 Thermaleer newsletters are worth reading, see pages 12 to 13 of issue #59, pages 12 to 13 of issue  #60 and pages 16 to 17 of issue #61, available as free downloads from here: http://www.sam600.com/old-site/b_thermaleer.htm

David