Hauderer

Drillgine carburetor problems

Hello All,

i have some carburetor problems with my drillgine of nov. 1975 no: 13B403 and 5110787.

Its not possible to get fuel over the pump. The vent of this carburetor is a little rubber knob and i think this thing does not work.

However the fuel goes just a little bit don and high inside the fueltube.

I dont like to put acarburetor of a newer machine on the drillgine.

So does someone maybe knows how to become parts für this carburetor, or a other carburetor?

I live in Germany :)

Thanks   Jens

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

I think that a good place to start is at the beginning of the Ohlsson And Rice blog. There is an excellent O&R Carb Repair Tutorial that I found very usueful. Also if you have access to You Tube , Mustie 1 has videos on Jan, 20, 2018 "will it run? antique gas powered drill"..It might be of help. It is a two part video.Search you tube as written inside of the quotation marks

John

That's a newer style carb. They changed to the rubber stopper type arm on the end of the arm instead of the older ball bearing check valve type. Replacement arms for that type are difficult to find. Also, someone drilled out the original primer button which was on top of the cover for some reason ???

When the fuel just moves back and forth it's because the check valve which is a One Way valve (rubber) is not sealing.

It may be best or easiest to swap that entire diaphragm part with another style with the ball bearing valve. It will bolt right on as they are the same.

Maybe a small remote control inline check valve will also work but it must be designed for fuel

On 11/4/2021 at 9:55 PM, BIGJOHNG2 said:

I think that a good place to start is at the beginning of the Ohlsson And Rice blog. There is an excellent O&R Carb Repair Tutorial that I found very usueful. Also if you have access to You Tube , Mustie 1 has videos on Jan, 20, 2018 "will it run? antique gas powered drill"..It might be of help. It is a two part video.Search you tube as written inside of the quotation marks

John

It can't stand watching those videos, why they didn't do some research (or ask) on the correct way to take these engines apart I don't know.

Some-things you should not copy from that video;

• They remove the flywheel by levering with screwdrivers, correct way is to loosen nut and hold flywheel and tap the nut/shaft with hammer to free the flywheel from the taper.
  • The use of flat nose pliers to reshape broken starter spring, great way to ensure a sharp bend that breaks easily, use round nose instead.
  • Ruins the later type fuel line check valve, why are they hammering it back with the carb assembled?
  • They couldn't even find a small spanner/nutspinner to undo the needle valve assembly from the carb, it's very easy to snap this part if overtightened.
  • We have since found out the little disc was glued to the diaphragm, in these later carbs

And the less said about "hand tool rescue" hitting the flywheel fins with a hammer the better and ruining an original tool by repainting it badly. I see it was a AEP branded Drillgine once too, this history is lost with the terrible paint job.

Neither video does anything to service & replace the dried out grease in the gearbox, it's most likely the engine shaft seals are bad too, some are non-serviceable in later production engines.

David

On 11/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, Hauderer said:

Hello All,

i have some carburetor problems with my drillgine of nov. 1975 no: 13B403 and 5110787.

Its not possible to get fuel over the pump. The vent of this carburetor is a little rubber knob and i think this thing does not work.

However the fuel goes just a little bit don and high inside the fueltube.

I dont like to put acarburetor of a newer machine on the drillgine.

So does someone maybe knows how to become parts für this carburetor, or a other carburetor?

I live in Germany :)

Thanks   Jens

On 11/4/2021 at 10:29 PM, Wallfish said:

That's a newer style carb. They changed to the rubber stopper type arm on the end of the arm instead of the older ball bearing check valve type. Replacement arms for that type are difficult to find. Also, someone drilled out the original primer button which was on top of the cover for some reason ???

When the fuel just moves back and forth it's because the check valve which is a One Way valve (rubber) is not sealing.

It may be best or easiest to swap that entire diaphragm part with another style with the ball bearing valve. It will bolt right on as they are the same.

Maybe a small remote control inline check valve will also work but it must be designed for fuel

It's possible the primer mechanism fell off, they are only held together by the end being pressed together, onto the brass disc inside.

Maybe it can be repaired by making some parts to fit.

SAM_3101a.jpg.253c552417cc5f1d1f332710ac5310ff.jpg

SAM_3094a.jpg.2cadafbc5899e09ae59b1fb895000725.jpg

The diaphragm arm spring should be on top of the diaphragm arm, to hold the seal down, as shown below.

SAM_3098a.jpg.8a397c01780528b44761b5966180a741.jpg

You probably also need to clean the filters in the fuel line & brass check valve (if fitted), clean the tank and fit new fuel lines.

As well as replace the diaphragm itself and fit new air filter foam.

David

Hello all,

i put new fuelhose and new fuel into the machine. And bye the way, i took the wrong hose of the fuel tank. Now it is better to get fuel into the carburetor. But the machine start only a few seconds. I also blowed out this airfilterdirt… I ordered now a new diaphragm. Than i hope it will run, if not i will clean it all up again. Where can i get this red pump knob?

regards Jens

Edited by Hauderer

On 11/4/2021 at 6:58 PM, Hauderer said:

IMG_3305.jpg

Having looked at one of the carbs with the primer button, I can tell you that the hole for the primer mechanism is larger than the hole that nail is fitted through.

DSC_6038a.jpg.d7603c80d8f1ecbd9ad9ea453267c43b.jpg

I suspect your carb top is one of the later ones where they omitted the primer function for some unknown reason, we have seen these on a few later engines, for example this generator I have has the later blank carb top.

SAM_6164b.jpg.90efc8ca97659516222498d4075a7af3.jpg

But oddly my 1978 Drillgine (AEP branded) does have the primer button, it has the same type 13B403 engine as your 1975 Drillgine.

l2a.jpg.a786edf0860ccf466d9b95997f0a4e71.jpg

SAM_7486a.jpg.40860971457da734d3e36df3dd0e3c47.jpg

David

Hello,

i was able to start the motor.

It was running for one minute, than something like backfire and after this i could not turn the crankshaft round :(

I thought, maybe broken pistonrings. Today i disassambled it. While i took thy cilinder and piston of, may little thing fall down.

And i saw the broken crankshaft :( Oh no it is dead...

So if somebody has this broken part for a good price, please send me a message.

Regards Jens

123.jpg

33.jpg

That's a first seeing a crankshaft broken like that. Here in the States it would just make sense to replace the whole engine. Probably not as plentiful in Germany so we'll have to get you something. If David @factory has a short block or a crankshaft plus the induction gaskets, that would be easiest way. That rod bearing could be toast as well.  I can find something too but shipping to Germany might be expensive.

Drillgines are a PITA to disassemble and assemble. There's always something blocking access to the fasteners

Primerless caps were on early engines too. Have had a couple on circular saws I think but also on later items like the chicken power engines, The fuel tank was mounted higher than the carb so it didn't require priming.

11 minutes ago, Hauderer said:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/373783789423?hash=item57073fff6f:g:PX8AAOSwcu5hhu9a
this Motor here is to old, that any part would match with mine? Over wich year i have to look for an motor, or parts?

No those model plane engines predate the Compact range, they are all tiny in comparison. I have seen a couple of Little wonder hedge trimmer appear in Germany in the past and the Carbra hedge cutters in France, not seen much else in Europe.

First one I've seen broken in that place too, usually the threaded section snaps off at the flywheel end.

Did you find all the bearing rollers and was the second star retainer present? Also clean the crankcase & check for cracks.

The induction case on that engine will have an O-ring instead of the gaskets used on earlier engines, not 100% sure what spacers & gaskets are fitted for the cylinder with it being from 1975.

David

Does anyone know where I can find the ball bearing check valve for the carburetor or do you know what size is I lost mine I tried using a tip of a pen that is too small any ideas

SAM_3098a.jpg.8a397c01780528b44761b5966180a741.jpg

Hi Rick

There were 2 sizes over the years but I believe a drillgine would have the larger of the 2. they are 1/16 and 3/32 ball bearings. If you have an old school hardware store close by you can find them in the drawers with all that small stuff