BIGJOHNG2

Spark Plugs

I see that there are  three spark plugs listed for O&R engines... Champion UY-6, CJ-8, and CJ-14. Is there one that works better than others? It seems like the UY-6 is harder to find. Any thoughts?

John

Edited by BIGJOHNG2
correct typo

UY-6 are the older 10mm plugs but there are cross references to other manufacturer's plugs. Same for the others

Overwhelming majority of mine still have the original Champion plugs in them and fire fine. 

There is no choice but to use the UY-6 (10mm) in older engines, unless the cylinder is replaced with the 14mm type used on all later engines.

As for the CJ-8 & CJ-14 (both 14mm), they were both still listed in the 1971 master parts price list, but O&R did recommended to use the CJ-8 for chainsaw engines in a service bulletin.

268999813_OhlssonRiceServiceBulletinS-E013Apr68SparkPlug-MustangChainSaw.jpg.d930e8a1af854a3812ae11b0361a612e.jpg

Note, some of the modern Champion spark plugs have a none removable solid top for the plug cap.

Earlier coils require the type with a threaded top for the plug lead, unfortunately this means searching for old stock, some sellers use generic pictures so best to ask to confirm what they are selling.

David

On 2/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, factory said:

There is no choice but to use the UY-6 (10mm) in older engines

I have some old Autolite P-6 10 mm plugs bought when I first started collecting