Ronald

Old Orline Chainsaw

I've been working on an old Orline chainsaw for a bit now, and have been having some issues keeping it running. I'm wondering if it's the diaphragm, the entire carburetor, or I just have the fuel lines hooked up incorrectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Orline Chainsaw Carburetor Bottom.jpg

Orline Chainsaw Diaphragm.jpg

Orline Chainsaw Fuel Tank & Lines.jpg

Orline Chainsaw.jpg

20220225_142609.jpg

20220225_142621.jpg

:WMOM:

From my PM post and thanks for posting up on the forum too

Hmmm, some of that looks very difficult to hand make and especially the writing on the little tabs for the choke position.

That's a later model saw after Advanced Engine Products took over the O&R stuff. Wonder if they tried to build a better carb as the carb has always been the weak point with these little engines. Very interesting.

Some pics of all of it from different angles and the inside when it's open might help to determine the way to place the fuel lines. The spacer in between the top and bottom is throwing me off a little because of those 2 fuel nipples. Wonder if it's intended to be in and out with out going to that third one you said is near the cylinder.

I think I’ve seen that carburetor before. I searched back through a million posts on here but can’t seem to find it. I’ll keep looking for it. Maybe David can work his magic and pinpoint the info.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thank you for continuing to look! I was also wondering if anyone would know where I could get a replacement carb for this. Doesn't have to be the same one, an older model carb seems like it would be better anyway. The diaphragm on the older ones seems to be a simple circle compared to this one. 

Edited by Ronald

Looks to me that they tried to make the old carb more modern and added a diaphragm fuel pump.  I'd say that line coming out by the motor mount would be the pulse port for the pump, and the other line feeding fuel from the tank.

Advanced Engine Products Series 13B Engine Specifications Aug 1975.pdf

Aha, found it.  This carburetor is also on Webhead’s Chromer chainsaw.  Knew I had seen that before. I was about to go nuts looking all over the net and on the forum.  Now I can go to bed:D

What a legend, definitely going to use this info. I'll let you know if I need more parts/info. Probably will lmao. Get some good rest, you deserve it! XD

I was having some trouble linking to these earlier references.  If you go to the main folder for O&R, David has compiled a bunch of brochures and other info. The full pdf of the 13B engine is there (1975).

Here's my guestimate of the carb situation. But, do those other 2 pieces split as well? Looks like a gasket in between them or that is possibly an additional diaphragm using the case pulse to feed fuel.

Line from case to carb but it appears like they might be connected backwards in your other pic, line from tank to carb. One nipple from the tank is the vent because the cap doesn't have a vent. The other nipple is the fuel feed line.

With some fuel (or other liquid) in the tank use a piece of fuel line connected to the nipples and blow into them to determine which is which. One should bubble the liquid. (I'm guessing the lower one)That's the fuel line to the carb. The other should push liquid out of the other nipple, (I'm guessing the vertical one) that's the vent and just remains open with nothing attached. This should be the same thing for the tank nipples using a traditional carb too. If using a traditional carb, that case nipple will need to be closed off. ( I don't clearly remember but that tank nipple configuration does seem different for some reason, I'll have to take a look at a saw)

It should probably still use the little plastic check valve piece that pinches in between on top of the bottom carb body but I don't see one.

tumblr_a588b787cea294f5d4bef1d39a11cc75_d79db7bb_2048.jpg.98836751d45794c36bade97e29385c39.jpg

If you can't get it to work, I might be interested in trading a traditional carb for that one to play with. I don't have an engine with the case nipple but that shouldn't be to difficult to drill one. Might have a good chainsaw crank end engine to trade the whole thing for but I can look. Maybe I can rebuild one too but the time to do that might be a problem. Try it first and let me know if you're interested in trading and we can go from there if it doesn't work. I'm sure we can get you going either way.

Ugh Oh, it also looks like the brass needle part with the threads is broken off in the hole of the lower carb body. Maybe just the pic but..

So far you'll probably need diaphragm material and a plastic check valve. Maybe a new needle valve seat too if that piece broke and possibly enough material to cut 2 diaphragms. Not a bad idea to make a new gasket too

Unfortunately, the customer I was servicing the chainsaw for didn't want it fixed. They contemplated selling it to me, and hopefully they'll change their mind, but they want to stare at it on a shelf for a couple of years first. :/
I'll reply to this post if I ever get my hands on it again. Was really hoping they'd let me get it running properly again.