rboski

Computer Desk

Wasn't sure whether to post this under wood or metal since it's a little bit of both, but this seemed like right place to stick it.

Nothing too fancy, just a basic computer desk I made awhile back.  The top is two layers of 3/4" particle board glued and screwed together with a couple coats of mahogany Polyshades.  I cut a rough kidney bean like shape and then routed all the edges with a round over bit.  The legs are galvanized chain link fence posts cut to size and connected using Kee Klamp fittings. 

I've used these materials to build several desks in the past. It's only plywood so if your space changes you can modify the top or just make a new one.  The pipe and fittings never go bad so you can just reconfigure as needed.  It's not a fine piece of furniture, but it's perfect for its intended use and it's strong enough to support a tractor. Well maybe not a D series. 

Desk_zps32062f97.jpg

If interested the fittings can be found here, http://www.simplifiedbuilding.com.  They have a gallery with some other interesting ideas and uses for the fittings.

-Rich

Very cool. Looks like a pretty fine piece of furniture to me.  I know... you mean it's no Thomasville, but it really looks sharp. Looks as nice as something you'd find in a store.  Definitely looks like a intelligent use of workspace and the color of the frame fittings really set it off.  I might like that better than my L-shaped corner desk at home.

Thanks!  I've made a couple in the past but this was the first time I went with the dark color for the top.  I had seen particle board and galvanized steel used for the shelving and display tables in some store at the mall so I was trying to replicate something like that. just sealed the particle board with clear poly on the others. I'm pretty pleased with the way this one came out.  Thanks again.

-Rich