Bob V

O&R Tiny Tiger Generator Carburetor

13 hours ago, tvenetis said:

No I don't have any seals.

They're very difficult to find. you won't find an "off the shelf" replacement as far as I'm aware

That's why I suggested using the brake fluid to help swell them. Give it a try, nothing to loose

I was wondering what else would make my tiny tiger misfire. I replaced the coil condenser points and made sure thery were clean. I have a video of it running but not sure if I could atach it.

Is there a way I can upload a video so someone can tell me what they think is wrong? The video is over 16 mb to upload it. I gapped the points .020 iI put new diaphragm in the carburetor and made sure the carb was clean.

Edited by tvenetis
add more information

On 11/18/2022 at 6:15 PM, tvenetis said:

Thanks do you know the sizes of them and how do you remove them thanks.

The one under the flywheel has a metal ring holding it. Simply tap  pry  pull off that that metal ring.

The other side, remove the induction section and pick it out from the shaft end side. You might be able to just pick it out with the induction section in place.

Both seals were installed from the outside of the case

You can pull the seals out of your engine and measure them yourself is the best way and try and find replacements or search ebay and the net. As stated before they will be very difficult to find as NOS seals. Once they're damaged you will be SOL and just turned that engine into a brick unless you can find new seals. Or put new O rings in there if you want to try that.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to even try the brake fluid as suggested???

On 11/19/2022 at 7:32 AM, tvenetis said:

I have a video of it running but not sure if I could atach it.

Create a Youtube account if you don't have one and upload the video to Youtube. Then you can post the link to that video on here and we can watch/see it

1 hour ago, tvenetis said:

Yes I am going to try break fluid I was asking about seals if I ever find replacements thank you

There are NOS parts out there but seals are very hard to find.

Try the brake fluid and that will tell you if the seals are the problem and / or if you need new seals

Hi John - Where in the world do you find DOT 3 non synthetic brake fluid? I have tried to find it, but all the auto parts stores that have DOT 3 only have it in the synthetic formula. Any ideas where you might be able to find the old stuff?

Thanks ~ Bob

21 hours ago, Bob V said:

Hi John - Where in the world do you find DOT 3 non synthetic brake fluid? I have tried to find it, but all the auto parts stores that have DOT 3 only have it in the synthetic formula. Any ideas where you might be able to find the old stuff?

Thanks ~ Bob

I've had an old bottle of that stuff around for years. Old enough the label is worn off

How about this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-DOT-3-Brake-Fluid-12-oz/16821275?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=16821275_0&wl14=brake fluid&veh=sem&msclkid=fc2bd284637c172775d6b1f930288b64&gclid=fc2bd284637c172775d6b1f930288b64&gclsrc=3p.ds

10 hours ago, tvenetis said:

Hi John are both seals the same size on the crank shaft

No, they're not the same.

One way to check the seals on the case is to

remove the carb

Block that hole in the case with a rubber stopper

remove the muffler

Blow up a balloon and put it on the exhaust collector (you can hold the carb hole with your thumb too)

The balloon will leak down.

Fast and the seals are leaking and sometimes you can even hear the air coming out

They will all leak down but very bad seals will go quicker

There's no exact amount of time it should be. There are way too many variables to consider this real science but it does give you an idea of what's going on. Much easier to understand when you have many engines like I do but if you do the balloon test before doing the brake fluid, then do it right after (the oil will seal them) then do it again after it was running for a bit. That will tell you if the brake fluid swelled the seals.

Tiny Tigers are tougher because you have to remove the generator head to get to that side seal. I've thought about just pouring some in the carb hole with the spark out and just puling it over slowly to wet the seals with it from the inside. It's something I would do with one of my engines but I haven't done it and don't know if doing that could have some ill effects on the engine. I'm no engineer scientist so don't know but I'm guessing the the fuel would just quickly wash it out. The engine will smoke a bit until it does.

Thanks for the heads up on the brake fluid. Walmart is about the only place that I did not look. Like you, I had an old rusted can in the garage for about 30 years and finally pitched it never knowing that I might need it in the future. I will visit Walmart in the morning. Were you ever able to mail me a grounding strap for #2? 

Thanks again,

Bob

4 hours ago, tvenetis said:

NowI have to pull the recoil fast to get some spark and slow no spark. Is that the coil or condenser. The points are clean and gapped.

It's more rare to have a coil crap out on these engines than a condenser.

Speed shouldn't matter too much but I don't know what you consider slow. I do know you can spin the flywheel by hand with the starter housing off, plug out and get a nice sharp blue spark. That's what my shop's plug tester is.

On 11/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, tvenetis said:

Hi John did you get a chance to listen to my engine on youtube I posted the link?

Yes, that sounds like fuel delivery problem like the seals but it's also running at lower rpm. That engine should scream at 6300 rpm. Also check the governor spring on the bottom of the carb

I know on my bigger engines, Kohler 8-10-12 hp etc, they will idle with a bad condenser but die right out once you try to throttle them up.

Slow rolling loss of spark like that is a new one me

I have a magnet charger maybe I will make a jig to remagnetize the flywheel. I just set the points at .020 they were a little closer but the same conditions.

That is really strange about the spark.  I wish had some ideas to try. There are a couple used condensers one a system if you decide to go that route.

I found out the magnet on the flywheel is not as strong as another flywheel I have but I found out the magnets are made of a different metal than the older ones in a wico magneto so you need a stronger magnet charger. Also on a generator with the gas tank on the bottom how do you replace the tube and filter? I can't tell how you get the hose connection off the tank so you can get to the tube that is inside the tank.k 

Edited by tvenetis