tvenetis

Recoil spring help

I am repairing a recoil for a ohlsson drill and was wondering how to wind the spring. I made a 2 inch pipe to fit the spring in after it is wound thanks.

:WMOM:

I do them by hand. Get most of it wound into a coil then pinch the coil with your fingers. To tighten and shrink the coil size, pull on the loose end while pinching the center tight and it will tighten up. Hold it the whole thing tight and wrap 5-10 more wraps around and pull it again. Repeat the process until it's small enough and all coiled up. It takes a little while

It's easier if it's clean and dry. Oil it after it's installed into the housing

Let me know if this doesn't make sense

I finally got it wound. I took small vice grips and I held the spring near where it fits on to the spool. Then I held the vice grips in a vice and wound the spring then I took another small vice grips and squezed the spring so it would not unwind. I took the middle vice grips off and dropped the spring in the housing.

It’s a horrid job needing strong fingers. Just stripped and rebuilt a couple of Siba starters on Villiers F12s. Strong old springs. Nearly there and it jumps out and wraps around your arm like a demented snake !  Villiers own starter on the same engine jus winds in from outside. Why can’t they all be like that?