Steve2018

Ride on Mower wont start in cold weather

My Lawnflite 504 worked fine in October but went to start it at end of November and it just keeps turning over.

Occasionally it will almost fire up (Bit like trying to start a classic car that doesn't want to fire up) and I will get a puff of smoke from the exhaust.

It's getting a spark and also tried 2 other plugs.

Fuel is flowing fine, filter isn't blocked.

Float is working as it should

Poked some carb cleaner needels in the carb holes and all seemed clean

It's getting fuel

Took the airfilter off to make sure it's not blocked and when it turns over I can see fuel vapour puffing out

It's like it's on the edge of firing up

Would cold start spray work? Also read that carb cleaner can be used as an alternative?

Any other ideas or is it just the weather making it hard to start?

Thanks

Sorted for the grand total of £4

Sprayed carb cleaner in the inlet while turning it over and it fired up and spluttered for a while spluttering moisture out the exhaust.

I'm guessing it was maybe just damp and condensation inside the engine?

Fires up nice now :-)

On E10 fuel that’s been around a while?  Fresh E5 for all my kit and a dash of BS Fuel Fresh in the can before visiting the pump. Aerosol spray of GT85 in my favourite general rescue spray. Your machine looked like a Lawnflite 504/505 , so if on its original engine it could be a bit overdue for a valve job when you’ve got nothing better to do.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, Wristpin said:

On E10 fuel that’s been around a while?  Fresh E5 for all my kit and a dash of BS Fuel Fresh in the can before visiting the pump. Aerosol spray of GT85 in my favourite general rescue spray. Your machine looked like a Lawnflite 504/505 , so if on its original engine it could be a bit overdue for a valve job when you’ve got nothing better to do.

22 hours ago, Stormin said:

I wouldn't touch E10 with a barge pole. 

Thanks, Only use Tesco Momentum Ron99 that's E5 I think 

Yes it's the 504 with 8hp Briggs and stratton engine. Will have to look for a guide on how to do the valves, guessing won't be too much hassle to do :-)

Checked the clearence of the ignition coil and that was way out so adjusted that

It's a good little mower :-) gave the grass it's final cut on Sunday with no issues :-)

Valve job not too difficult but a valve spring compressor will make life easier. Bigger issue is the lack of access around the engine so the choice is to remove the engine  or the tin work around it. I would do the latter and leave the lump in situ. Saves fighting with belts and pulleys etc.