snowy the grey AKA Chris

Wolseley Clearway 30" hydrolastic drive cooling fan missing.

My Clearway has been overheating as the grass it has to cut keeps growing and it needs to work harder. Unfortunately this allows air into the Hydro drive  and the mower slowly comes to a halt. Problem is the cooling fan is missing and having looked everywhere there do not appear to be any replacement options. Any ideas to resolve this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by snowy the grey AKA Chris

Sorry for delay but here are 2 pics which may help. I have had the unit off the mower and there is no ID as far as I can see.Nearest I can find is on e-bay a Craftsman fan but it is not the right blade pitch. Fan fits on the end of the toothed pulley wheel in first pic and top of belt which goes round the pulley moves right to left. If that makes any sence!

Any help appreciated.

post-218-0-72240500-1402584657_thumb.jpg

post-218-0-60816900-1402584660_thumb.jpg

I think that it may be an Eaton hydro. Been used on a lot of garden and ground scare machinery of that era including a Dennis Premier cylinder mower that we used to look after. Unfortunately I left all my hydro stuff behind at my old business but try Googling Eaton .com.

Edit. This may be a better link, even shows a fan but make sure that it's the right rotation.

http://htluk.co.uk/Products/light_duty_hydrostatic_transmissions/700-040

Or this

http://www.truturf.com/pdf/old_manuals/5.pdf

Edited by Wristpin

Just a point to add what Wristpin says above, Eaton do not provide the Cooling Fan for their units or the Pulley requirements.

These are left to the Customer due to varying applications.

So Wolseley would have sourced or made parts to fit their needs and applied their own part numbers to them.

If, as you described, that the Belt travels from top right of Pulley to the left in your first Image, then you have a CCW ROTATION requirement of the Fan to pass air over the unit (possibly a Model 6 unit).

The diameter of the fan should only need to be the same diameter as the Unit.

You'll probably have to guess the amount of Blade pitch and number of them to provide the required cooling, when looking for a suitable Fan to modify and fit. Just need to ensure it is fitted concentrically and balanced on the pulley.

I'm sure you'll find a solution.         

Years ago I replaced a missing cooling fan on an Eaton 1100 trans (in a Wheel Horse) with one the same size from a small household fan. It worked a treat :)    Just a thought..

Hello,

sorry to barge in , but I saw the post about a Wolseley Clearway, would any one be able to tell me if this is older Wolseley Clearway without the Hydrostatic drive?

I bought this machine about 25 years ago and it had, had a hard life before I bought it.

After many good years of service the differential packed up and in the process of my friend re engineering the parts it got thrown out!

Does any one know who made the diff and is there one lying around somewhere?

For the past 10 years it was left out in the elements under a hedge until last week when I decided to bring it back to life, the engine and pulleys etc  all worked with the minimal of fuss.

Without the drive it must be the heaviest push mower in existence, that said I did push it into a very wild overgrown piece of garden and it cut down 4 foot tall undergrowth with ease

the date on the engine is 1970 I think.

All help gratefully received.

post-244-0-35765300-1403994111_thumb.jpg

post-244-0-94604400-1403994115_thumb.jpg

I've got a parts list for a Wolseley 27" Self-Propelled Grasscutter, standard and professional models. (no mention of Clearway) which visually matches the images that you've posted.The parts list just says WR189 for the diff assembly with no other information but it looks as though it was possibly either a Foote or a Peerless part.

Foote disappeared entirely many years ago and Peerless became part of Tecumseh who ceased to make engines and transmissions some years ago. The manufacture of some of their range of transmissions was taken over by Husqvarna but I believe this was confined to transaxles for ride-on mowers.

Edited by Wristpin

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for this info. Really helpful, will see what I can get.

Thanks again.

just googled Smiths and the part number but with no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks.

Edited by snowy the grey AKA Chris

I had a Wolseley  self propelled mower years ago.  If I remember correctly it look very much like that one in the photo's. The engine went bang and I scrapped it. But. the complete rear axle is still up at the farm. I can check if you like?

Just come across your post. If you have not solved the problem then the fan from an old mini fits perfectly. You have to cut down the blades by about 25mm to make it fit but it works well. I bought two off ebay.

That's a handy tip Jagger, and a great first post :thumbs:

Welcome to MOM, good to have another Kent member aboard..  Don't forget to introduce yourself in our Introductions section :thumbs:

Hi everyone

I have a lovely Wolseley Clearaway 30 inch machine in yellow

Unfortunately the main cable has broken.Its approx 3ft in length

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction to acquire a replacement please?

Best

Tim