Ian

Work on my Wheel Horse Raider 20 6X6

i always use argon 5% with my mig and get very strong welds

Having had a play on Nigel's mig welder the other day, all I can say is...... I need to get a good mig welder and stop using the gassless wire!   :D

At long last some progress has been made on the 6x6..

The inner axle mount was boxed in and fully welded up yesterday..

TSS15317_zps8d04ffe3.jpg

Middle wheel and outrigger bolted back on.

TSS15318_zps7144775f.jpg

The troublesome sprocket that kept sheering off the axle was given a good talking to by the arc welder on full blast.. It should be strong enough now but I will run some extra beads on today just to make sure..

TSS15319_zps9238dda1.jpg

I won't have much time today to get much more done (Garry's trike rewire take 2), but if I can find where I hid my key steel away I hope to get the chains and other sprockets installed..

More progress . Woo Hoo :D

The left side is all finished apart from a greasing the chains, tweaking the middle sprocket cover to fit, and giving it a quick coat of red paint which can be done while waiting for welds to cool on the other side :)

TSS15322_zps01484f04.jpg

And strip down has started on the right side.. :D

TSS15323_zps967d46f7.jpg

Thanks guy's, it's getting there...

A small progress report.. The right side now looks like this..

TSS15324_zps3256240c.jpg

During strip down I found yet another cracked in two taper-lock bush!!  Good job I have a few spares :)

TSS15326_zps6186e692.jpg

And for some strange reason, one of the chain tensioner sprockets had decided to spit out one of it's bearing!!   Not a problem as I have spares..

TSS15327_zpsd05f9411.jpg

The outrigger has been stripped of paint and will be getting sliced and diced today..

TSS15325_zps6c7c31e7.jpg

Hi Ian, got PM, sorting it out,

Renewing bearings on the BCS flail, pics of the drive pulleys, no keys, the bore of the pulley & the outside of the centre piece have matching tapers,the screws pull the two together very tightly. I assume no keys to allow shock absorption by slipping . I wonder if something like this may help prevent the taperlock breakages you are suffering ? With a lathe I would think they would not be too difficult to makepost-206-0-53047900-1406830997_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-95993600-1406831018_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-22514100-1406831042_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-12435100-1406831064_thumb.jpgpost-206-0-40765200-1406831092_thumb.jpgif an immovable object is encountered  post-206-0-23468500-1406830971_thumb.jpg

Looking at the thickness of some of this metal, I'm thinking..... I wonder what this beast weighs? Have you a local weigh bridge that may be able to help? Would be interesting to find out the weight of this beast,

Also.... Once back together and finished, it looks like time for a good old pressure wash, she looks abit dirty....

Hi Ian, got PM, sorting it out,

Renewing bearings on the BCS flail, pics of the drive pulleys, no keys, the bore of the pulley & the outside of the centre piece have matching tapers,the screws pull the two together very tightly. I assume no keys to allow shock absorption by slipping . I wonder if something like this may help prevent the taperlock breakages you are suffering ? With a lathe I would think they would not be too difficult to makeattachicon.gifP1020025.JPGattachicon.gifP1020024.JPGattachicon.gifP1020023.JPGattachicon.gifP1020022.JPGattachicon.gifP1020021.JPGattachicon.gifP1020020.JPGif an immovable object is encountered  attachicon.gifP1020026.JPG

Thanks for that Doug. I think the problem is I'm asking something that wasn't designed for this sort of job to put up with too much strain and weight! I'm hoping the "Wheel job" will take some off the strain out..

Looking at the thickness of some of this metal, I'm thinking..... I wonder what this beast weighs? Have you a local weigh bridge that may be able to help? Would be interesting to find out the weight of this beast,

Also.... Once back together and finished, it looks like time for a good old pressure wash, she looks abit dirty....

Hi Charlie, I've no idea how much she weighs, but at a guess I'd say a lot :D    It would be good for her to loose a few kilos..

The dirt can stay for now, all being well she is off to a working weekend next weekend and would only get covered in muck and dust anyway :)

Looks as good as ever Ian, hope it handles and drives better for you!

Thank you Sir, I'm hoping it will help the steering and straining out a bit.. I'm also hoping that the farmer does not plow the field behind my house before I've had a chance to give the 6x6 a good thrashing across it.. Well, I need to test the modification's out :D

A small update... The right side outrigger now looks like this.. I hope to have it finished by the end of the day..

TSS15328_zps410dcdf6.jpg

I didn't get as much done yesterday as I had hoped due to having to play nurse to a poorly wife, but good progress was made.

At the end of play yesterday I sat down with a coffee and was looking at the underside of the outrigger.... Can you spot something odd?

TSS15329_zpsb20a64b6.jpg

You see the manufacturing lines in the part that has been lowered....

TSS15330_zps63010061.jpg

Both ends don't have them on the underside which can mean only one thing....... Yes, that's right.. When I welded the center of the outrigger back in, I had it upside down!!!

TSS15331_zpsc048bdb7.jpg

It's a bit late to do anything about it now though, but all should not be lost.. As the axle hole was in the center of outrigger, it should still be in the right place even though it's the wrong way up... All I need to do is turn the bearing block holder thingy through 180 degrees and everything should bolt back up smile.png

TSS15332_zpsbfdd278b.jpg

If work continues at this pace then it looks like Cinders will be going to the ball.. Ok, maybe not a ball but something much more fun.. Rural Pastimes at Sedlescombe this coming weekend :D

The outrigger cleaned up, red oxided and the middle sprocket cover trimmed to fit...

TSS15334_zpse5c61fce.jpg

The inner mount needs about an hours more welding done, most of that will be waiting for it to cool down again after welds!      Then a quick coat of paint before bolting everything back together again :)

TSS15333_zps11a9c94a.jpg

Thanks Richard, it's looking like a few showers at the weekend, but plenty of time for that to change yet :D

Good news chaps.. Despite me welding the middle of the outrigger in upside down, everything bolted up as is should :)

TSS15335_zpsfaa9a21f.jpg

TSS15336_zpsa0ce2ec1.jpg

The busted bearing in the chain tensioner thingy proved more of a problem to sort however!  Who would of thought the outer bearing case from a skateboard bearing could be so hard! 

TSS15327_zpsd05f9411.jpg

In the end I had to attack it with different grinding stones on a drill!

TSS15338_zpsfadff75d.jpg

A bit of damage to the sprocket, but not enough to stop a new bearing being fitted.

TSS15337_zps0f3d1471.jpg

Only the chains and fender to fit, then I can fire her up and see how she steers biggrin.png

It's been a while since the last 6x6 video, so here's the latest.. Enjoy. :)

Just sprockets I bored out on the lathe to fit skateboard bearings Mark.. Not sure wher I bought them from but I'd guess the Bearing Boys.

Er... a bit of a strange day with this project... I found I had quite a strange chain problem!!

I went to put the rear right hand side chain back on today, when I fitted it up I found it was too long and the chain tensioner pushed the bottom bit of the chain into the top bit..

No problem I thought, just take the half link out the chain and all will be cool.. Er... No!

With the half link removed the chain only just fitted on, but it was tight.. So tight in fact the chain tensioner was wedged down against the inside of the outrigger!!

So with the half link in the chains too long, without it it's too short!!!    I'm stumped!!!

Hi Ian,

My mate Farmer Boyce's combine has lots of chain tensioners which are made from nylon & don't rotate.

the chain side cheeks cut grooves in the nylon, which guide the chain and the chain rollers then run on the tensioner.

I suppose a piece of oak fencepost,etc would do at a pinch. As the tensioner doesn't rotate it wouldn't matter if it touched the casing,drill the bolt hole eccentricaly for adjustment,and put as many as you like on to support the chain,in fact they don't even have to be round!!!

Thanks Doug, I'm hoping I have the problem sorted now but I do have some nylon block on standby just in case it's needed :)

After having a few days off from this project for rural past times and then a few more days off because I'm an old fart with an iffy hip, I finally got back to work on the 6x6 today..

The chain problem turned out to be a welding problem in the end, the problem being me welding the middle bit of the out rigger back in upside down! In theory the holes should of ended up in the same place but in real life they didn't!

So after a bit of measuring off came the outrigger.. Again...

TSS15340_zpsd2b809f6.jpg

Then some more measuring and marking out.. All the holes needed to be moved 5mm forwards and 2mm up.. Taking the extra mm into account I marked the outrigger so the bit with the holes could be cut out and turned around putting the holes in the right place.

TSS15341_zps7b8a58ea.jpg

Chopped out and tack welded back in.. The wheel looks a lot straighter now, I don't know how I missed it first time around!

TSS15342_zps63ca6344.jpg

Mondays job is to fully weld it up, then fingers crossed the chain will go back on with no problems this time..