Ian

Project "Why Not"

awesome work Ian, I like big bits of metal taking shape!

Me too :D

Good progress has been made made today, both steel blocks have been bored out to take the lengths of steel that pivot in the rose joints..

WN429_zpsptr570sy.jpg

WN427_zpsd9xw3j32.jpg

WN428_zps3p8irwd6.jpg

Jumping slightly forward here as I forgot to take photo's of all the stages..

Both pivot thingys have been drilled and a thread tapped to keep the rose joints in position, and both pivot thingys were press fitted into the block.. a nice tight fit they were too :)

WN430_zpsepymo6cv.jpg

You may of also noted from the above photo that the whole thing has been put in the lathe so I can cut a few tapers...  If your wondering it span quite straight only a 1mm out of true.. Quite chuffed with that :)

WN431_zpsjzq0y25p.jpg

Stub axle installed, another tight pressure fit.. I still need to weld it all together, and yes the bearing will be coming off before the hot sparks fly..

WN432_zpsrcvc5vsv.jpg

I'm rather happy with how this front end lark is coming together :D

WN433_zpse2svwcjl.jpg

Nice work. Look forward to seeing all together. I'm quite intrigued as to how the steering works.

Thanks Norm.. I think I have worked out the steering now, but more on that when it happens :)

Looks the mutts nuts mate, brilliant job !!

looks the dogs  rollax ian :D

Wow, the canines cahoonas :)

Thanks guy's... Your fascination with dogs private parts is a bit worrying though :lol:

Can't think of anything else to add about the dogs reproductive parts however it really does look great.

Iain

:lol: Thanks Iain..

With both kingpin steering pivot thingys welded up (although in need of a little cosmetic grinding), the time had come to mount them to the front axle at an angle of 80 degrees

WN436_zpsigjalita.jpg

A close up for ya all..

WN437_zpsvn6cdxek.jpg

And at last Why Not is finally on all four wheels..  Yes the camber is a bit radical but that will be sorted when some nylock nuts arrive hopefully tomorrow.

WN438_zpsdusnhwx2.jpg

Of course now with Why Not rolling she had to be taken off the bench and wheel outside for a look at her on ground level..

But before those photo's a BIG :tthankyou:  to Nigel for helping all day yesterday to get Why Not on all fours.. Thanks Mate :thumbs:

A few photo's taken in the great out doors :D

WN440_zpsapfpnyc8.jpg

WN439_zpswgyyipgx.jpg

WN442_zpsg3dsed1u.jpg

WN441_zpssfj8l7uw.jpg

WN445_zps4ihfvdmg.jpg

WN444_zps1lyrymjc.jpg

WN443_zpsxn5srvo4.jpg

WN446_zpsulux0m0w.jpg

And for your viewing pleasure a video :D

it was a pleasure to help ian, and i dont know which one of us had the biggest smile on there face when we rolled it out into the sunlight, i can honestly say people just dont understand the work that goes into projects like this, and you hav"nt taken any short cuts this machine will be stunning when finished :thumbs:

I can attest to the workmanship of both Ian and Nigel's projects when I visited a few back. When I visited, unannounced, they were busy working on Ian's WH project. Obviously they have talked through their ideas to get to that stage. I like to call them the Dynamic Duo as they seem to crack on with their respective projects.

Looking really good Ian, you don't realise the true stance until you've seen it off of the bench and out on all fours! Keep at it guys, it's going to looking brilliant.

Tom

That looks so right, Ian. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm.

Well done Ian, you got a lot done in the last fortnight.great video too.

Thanks Andrew, yeah it has been a busy couple of weeks, but it's good to get one of the big parts done.

Omg...

How badass is that!

That's the lowest meanest horse on the planet! :D

Thanks Mark, yep she does look quite mean :D

This just keeps on getting better. :thumbs:

Iain

Thanks Iain, even more "better" to come over the following months.

it was a pleasure to help ian, and i dont know which one of us had the biggest smile on there face when we rolled it out into the sunlight, i can honestly say people just dont understand the work that goes into projects like this, and you hav"nt taken any short cuts this machine will be stunning when finished :thumbs:

Thanks mate, I think we both had equally as big grins on our faces when we rolled her outside :D

I can attest to the workmanship of both Ian and Nigel's projects when I visited a few back. When I visited, unannounced, they were busy working on Ian's WH project. Obviously they have talked through their ideas to get to that stage. I like to call them the Dynamic Duo as they seem to crack on with their respective projects.

The Dynamic Duo :lol:

Great work Ian, I can only agree with everyone's comments, I like the vid and have watched it a couple of times, to save all that lathe work you could have used a couple of club hammer heads :ph34r:

Thanks Chris, your not the first person to mention club hammers :lol:

Looking really good Ian, you don't realise the true stance until you've seen it off of the bench and out on all fours! Keep at it guys, it's going to looking brilliant.

Tom

Thanks Tom, seeing Why Not's true stance was the reason for getting her off the bench, She looked very tall on the bench and very low when off :D

WOW ian this is amazing you have really nailed it with this one it is a real machine of quality i will be dropping by soon to see it and you of coarse  :D

Thanks Ben, it will be good to catch up with you again :thumbs:

A bit more progress, the second brake disc and spacer/hub adapter thingy have been made and welded to the hubs...

Brake caliper in place but not fitted yet.

WN447_zpspexoczoj.jpg

Almost full lock..

WN448_zps0noqhj7g.jpg

One thing bugged me with the outside photo's... The fender pan looked to be leaning towards the back!!    But with a bit of box section wedged under the back a much meaner aggressive look emerged...

I guess I have a few tweaks to do in this department :D

WN449_zpskaf3djhe.jpg

Omg, how loud!!

Bet you are still deaf, can we have subtitles on the next video? I won't be able to hear anything!

Well done.... How long then before the first donut?

Very loud....   You might say we got a bit of attention :D      But don't worry, I will try and have a full exhaust fitted for your visit :D

It will be a while yet until the first doughnut, but that moment is getting ever closer :D

Well done. Sounds sweet. :thumbs:  But why did you keep looking over your shoulders.

Thanks Norm... We were looking at people who were looking to see what the loud noise was :D

Deafening! Just like going to Motor Head at Hammersmith Odeon in the 80s. My ears were ringing for hours afterward!

Great video and WN? is now a living thing!

That's a great comparison Andrew :thumbs:

Why Not is almost a living thing.. It will be once she has her gas tank fitted and wired up properly.

What happened at the end when you rushed round the other side ?

Well spotted Chris :D    Some of the wiring was starting to get a little hot as it had fallen on the exhaust!