Ian

Project "Why Not"

didnt that front wheel used to be YELLOW  ian :D

It's not a JD wheel, it was just painted the wrong colour at the factory :D

And speaking of strange coloured front wheels, the time had come to cut one of the centers out... The wheel is slightly too large to fit on my lathe, but it  will fit on Nigel's lathe with a few tweaks..

A bit of chain drilling and chisel work later..

WN331_zps1f78ed13.jpg

The inside of the wheel had some extra cutting to make the hole a little larger..

WN332_zpseb73556b.jpg

And on the lathe the wheel went.

WN333_zps5adf3392.jpg

The inside taking shape.

WN334_zps0d5892e3.jpg

A few hours later...

WN335_zps1f65ab1d.jpg

And to finish up this small update, a groove being cut in one of the new centers. This will center the new center in the rim :thumbs:

WN336_zps334ea068.jpg

I'm very envious of your lathe work Ian! Project Why Not is coming on really nicely  ;)

Don't be envious mate, your a talented fabricator and should have no problems with a lathe.. 

Thanks Charlie, t will take a while yet until it's finished.. But it will be worth the wait :D

A bit more progress today with one of the front wheels almost finished..

Two new wheel centers, can you spot which one is finished? smile.png

WN342_zps92142745.jpg

It slots into the wheel like so from the inside.

WN343_zps9d796fd5.jpg

And looks like this from the outside..

WN345_zpsf1395f1c.jpg

A close up for you.. I couldn't be happier with the fit biggrin.png

I need to grind a V shape into the two parts of the wheel to give me something  to fill full of weld.. Once the weld is cleaned back you won't know it's not original.. Until you look at the inside of course laugh.png

WN344_zps42765b48.jpg

The wheel is a nice tight fit on the wheel hub..

WN346_zps8e2d7dca.jpg

I have also been thinking about the front brakes.. There is just enough room to get a Kwakasaki Gpz 305 caliper and a small brake disc inside the wheel, though I have a feeling I might need to make my own brake discs!!  Has anyone ever tried it and did they work?

WN341_zpsd71c2870.jpg

awesome!

Thanks Mark.

Fantastic Ian, very interesting as always, I'm not to old to learn after all

Were never too old to learn Chris :D

Some Fab Fabbing work from a fine 'Fabber' Ian :thumbs: . Great work and progress .

Thanks Richard.. It's all guess work really :lol::D

An update for you chaps..

Both front wheels are now re centered and fully welded up... Here's the second wheel.

WN347_zps5enm4yoo.jpg

WN348_zpskwlolxn9.jpg

And now onto something new for me.. Making a front end that is not only strong, handles and steers well, but also has brakes..

As you will of seen in my last update I toyed with the brakes idea, yesterday was the day to see if I could make it work..

But rather than cutting and turning steel I made a fake brake disc from scrap ally just to see what could be made to fit.. The disc is 5" diameter and 4mm thick..

WN351_zpsvkzbg8lq.jpg

Time to dig out a bit of history..    One of the twin caliper mounting plates..

WN349_zpsnzbzv6ot.jpg

And the "Stig Double pumper" both of which were part of my 6X6's ill fated brake steer system..

WN350_zpsxvlygist.jpg

It's a tight, but a Qwakasaki Gpz305 caliper will just about fit in the wheel rim..

WN352_zps64agx0xd.jpg

Even better is I can get the steering pivot points rather close to the wheel, the bottom one might even fit inside the wheel which will make for better steering smile.png

If you think of this wheel as the left side with the caliper at the rear inside and the ruler being the pivot point you will get the idea..

WN353_zpsnf5wjgic.jpg

So now I know my brake idea can be made to fit I need a way of mounting the brake disc to the inside of the wheel hub...

Lot's of measuring and scribbling later, a plan...

WN354_zpsk4buhyqo.jpg

Off cut's of steel are always handy to have about the place th_thumbsup.gif

WN355_zpsolw5tj4f.jpg

The start of the first wheel hub brake adapter thingy.... And this Gent's brings the build up to date..

WN356_zpswityqkln.jpg

There's a lot thinking and planning behind these projects. I am, yet again, amazed at the pace you're setting yourself Ian. More good work and I await further progress with interest. Cheers.

Thanks Andrew, there isn't much planning going on, but plenty of thinking does happen :)   I don't think I'm working at a fast pace.. I would like to get more done faster than I am doing but my brain and body can only handle so much!

After lot's of turning the lump of green painted steel in the lathe in my last update turned into this spacer/brake hub thingy..

WN357_zpssxjijtj6.jpg

WN358_zps3plocbax.jpg

Next up in the lathe was a stripped down wheel hub..

WN360_zpspbovmppx.jpg

Notched..

WN361_zpskr7djtlv.jpg

The spacer/brake hub thingy is a perfect fit :thumbs:

WN362_zpszgs5t26o.jpg

And now for the brake disc starting with this 5 inch square of 5mm thick steel...   I've no idea what the coating is or what they do during the manufacturing process but this steel is very hard stuff which is quite handy for a brake disc, but it makes it a right pig to turn on the lathe!

WN363_zpsdkvkorbb.jpg

Getting there..

WN364_zpsvpudkw5c.jpg

Almost there...

WN365_zpsdtq1spoa.jpg

Spacer thingy and disc..

WN367_zpssg4giuev.jpg

:woohoo:  It all fit's inside the wheel... Just :D

WN366_zpsadxcy4j4.jpg

A hint of things to come...  I can't do anymore brake or steering work until some carbide cutting tips and some rather hefty rose joints turn up.. It will be nice to get away from the lathe for a while anyway :)

WN369_zps241oconz.jpg

So today I decided I'd have a look at the fender pan and seat mounting...

There is only one way to work out where the seat will go....

Yep, that feels about right :D

WN370_zpszycnb2te.jpg

This is the start of the seat/fender pan mounting frame, I do need to add more but I need the fender pan to fit first so I can work out what's what..

WN375_zpsxzorwdjm.jpg

WN374_zpsma9d2zdw.jpg

Hhmm... The fender pan needs a bit of work to make it fit.. It need to be wider and the bit the seat bolts onto need to be about 6 inches lower!!

WN372_zpsdcai3gli.jpg

WN373_zpsu6ynvksr.jpg

Let's tackle the widening bit first..

The original fender pan was very rotten in the middle and at the back, but I kept the "arches" parts should they come in handy one day :)

A 2 1/4 section was sliced from the spares arch and plonked roughly in place.. Due to fender pans having lot's of different curves and contours a few tweaks will be needed :)

WN379_zps9vacum7g.jpg

A bit of cutting and welding later and the fender pan was wider one side with matching curves up top.. Oo-er missus :lol:

The front and back don't quite line up, but I can't work that bit out until the center of the fender pan is in place..

WN377_zpslrdfaadj.jpg

WN378_zpsb2aemj0y.jpg

You can see how much wider it is compared to the left side.

WN376_zpszwy0m2tn.jpg

And that Gent's is this build up to date other than.......

A video :D

Hi Ian I may have some small discs off one of our machines,I'll have a look tomorrow. :thumbs:

Hi Ian, sorry to take so long, The discs I thought might be OK are a casting complete with a 'hub' which attaches to a hydraulic wheel motor, these take 8" wheels with a 4" pcd, ( made in Canada ) but the centre doesn't have enough meat to bore out for bearings. I have some other discs which are a bit bigger but around 4mm thick off a different machine, You are welcome to these if you can use  them

Thanks Doug, that's very kind of you..    For now I will give my home made discs a whirl and see how they work.. If they don't you may well get a PM :)

With both sides of the fender pan widened but not fully welded..

WN381_zps934ik6pj.jpg

It was time to sort out the drop in the middle..  A dig through the pile of scrap metal on site produced a couple of metal shelves which were just the right thickness...

A bit of chopping and tack welding later and although not perfect the arches bit were looking good.. They do need to be angled down towards the front a bit more.

WN384_zpsme4ruq71.jpg

Inner arch panels fully welded..

WN385_zpseucn0gcg.jpg

Looking from the inside, I think that could be classed as good welding penetration :D

WN386_zpsgvdmqjmh.jpg

And here's how it looked by the end of yesterday. The arch extensions each side have been fully welded and all welds smoothed down. The bit's of steel across the top are only there to hold the arches square until I can get some strength added..

WN387_zpsrasjuxtp.jpg

WN388_zpse6u2clho.jpg

WN389_zps6v41kzli.jpg

:D

I was viewer no.1 on the vid this morning, loving the brakes....

And how wide!!

And I was viewer number on your vid the other day :D

It's not as wide as it looks in the photo's..

Once again another great video Ian ,

Thanks Neil :thumbs:

Further great work and I enjoyed the pictures and video

Ta muchly Iain :thumbs:

Looking good.

It looks like a hard bit will be to get the back looking right, especially with the shaped bit on the end. What's your plan?

Thanks Iain... My plan to get the back looking right?    See below :D

That's looking good Ian. Are you putting an armchair on your creation?; it's plenty wide enough!

Ta muchly Andrew.. An armchair is an interesting thought, but there isn't the space.. The photo's make things look wider than they are..

This morning started with some cardboard templates to try and work out what would look right..

But before I could turn the cardboard into steel I need to A... Make the center bit first.. And B.. Find some steel to make it out of!

WN390_zpsxurqdwja.jpg

Treasures from the scrap pile :D

WN391_zpswdjrqpdu.jpg

Adding a curve to the center bit.. Yes that is a broom handle I'm about to fold the metal around :)

As it turned out the curve was a tad too tight so it was reshaped around a scaffold pole..

WN392_zpscdewzsyx.jpg

As Nigel (thanks mate :thumbs: ) has a bead rolling machine I thought I'd put it to good use and roll the traditional Wh swage line in the back..

WN394_zpse7i5prpx.jpg

And now the part which ties the arches and center section together... I need to tweak the shape a little and add the swage line tomorrow, then it can be welded in...

I have to say I'm quite chuffed about how the back end has come together :D

WN395_zpsovo0rmhi.jpg

WN396_zpsrzx4b1uf.jpg

A view from underneath.. The flanges will be staying as they will add a handy bit of strength to things once they are plug welded together. The flange will also be used for mounting the fender pan, keeping the mounting bolts nicely hidden away..

WN397_zpslph3rsb1.jpg