Ian

Project "Why Not"

Fantastic work Ian, heavy on the grinding discs and ears I imagine, glad I'm not in the workshop next door with all that noise going on.

It's gonna look just great with a coat of paint on it and real professional mate

Thanks mate, yeah all the grinding wasn't quiet but it did drown out Nigel's singing :D

I did hope to have a coat of paint on the front yesterday, but I ran out of energy..

Lot's of welding and lot's of grinding the welds smooth, but it was worth it :D

That has to be the biggest understatement of all time. It's a bit like saying you put some effort into getting a date with Kylie and it was worth it. :)

It looked great as it was and now it is a work of art. Fantastic workmanship :thumbs:

Iain

Fab work as always Ian, hurry and get her painted!

Thanks Mark, paint is on the way.

Really gradely job your doing, Ian. Looking really tidy. :bow:

Thanks Norm.. Yes I did have to look up gradely :D

That has to be the biggest understatement of all time. It's a bit like saying you put some effort into getting a date with Kylie and it was worth it. :)

It looked great as it was and now it is a work of art. Fantastic workmanship :thumbs:

Iain

Kylie you say.... Can she weld? :D

it realy does look the dogs do-dars when you see it close up :thumbs:

Thanks mate, it looks even better now it's not silver :)

I didn't take many photos Tuesday as it was quite boring stuff.. The day started with making lots of these small plates..

WN623_zpss7jrv4bb.jpg

To cover over these sort of bits on the chassis..

WN624_zpsn6r4pdsa.jpg

And the day finished with a red oxide chassis default_biggrin.png

The welding is 99% done, just a few small detail bit's left to do..

WN625_zpsyzelfmpu.jpg

WN626_zpsyep8nhqt.jpg

Wednesday the engine frame got the treatment.. Some final welding and a bit of smoothing out..  Here the frame is fitted to the engine so  I could make a mount for the coil pack..

WN627_zpszhogtuc9.jpg

It always amazes me how a quick coat of paint can change how something looks...   A red metal sculpturedefault_biggrin.png

WN629_zpskoedttxb.jpg

Engine and a few other bits bolted back on.. The wheels were only thrown on to see how the front end looked.. They will be coming back off to fit the new tires/tyres.

WN630_zpsigtrrut5.jpg

A close up of the front end... Me likes how it looks default_biggrin.png

WN631_zpsclwgmzlx.jpg

Before the rear axle could go back on I had to pull it apart again! The mounting holes needed to be made slightly bigger but the brake backing plates were in the way stopping me getting the drill in... So it was easier just to pull the axles out to get the backing plates out the way.

I also needed to drill a small breather hole in the top of the axle and fit a jiggle pin..  A jiggle pin is a small split pin that's a loose fit in the hole.. The idea is the pin jiggles about and stops the breather hole from getting blocked up..

WN632_zpsh7nkyiv8.jpg

Most of yesterday was spent dealing with Nigel's latest Fleabay purchase (Pic's coming soon in a new thread :lol: ) but I did manage to get some WN time in..

Right side foot plate and handbrake lever bolted on.

WN633_zpsxgop49sh.jpg

The 90 degree steering box thingy was cracked open and filled with grease before being attacked with some red oxide... It will be getting a proper clean-up before the top coat goes on, but as I had a can near my hand it seemed rude not to spray it :lol:

WN634_zpsyoezycwu.jpg

The rear axle is back in and assembled..   I had forgot just how much I hate drum brakes, getting the springs and shoes in is a right pain... It's a shame the new brake shoes were the wrong ones (I'm starting to get quite good at ordering the wrong parts now!), but the old ones still have plenty of life in them so they will do for now...   The new brake cylinders I ordered were the right ones so they went in..

WN635_zpsngqbpy1w.jpg

And that's things up to date again.   No workshop time until Monday now but things are looking good for a test drive next week :D

Coming on well, Ian. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm, she's getting there :)

We'll set up a live video link :)

As much as I like the idea Mark the internet at the workshop ranges from rubbish all the way down to nowt.. and that's hooked up to the garden centers internet!

Not much to report guys, after a busy weekend I was to tired yesterday to do much..  So little in fact I can't remember what I did other than bolt the brake fluid reservoirs in place and plumbed them in!   Maybe I need more coffee!

Anyway, to keep you all amused here's the latest Why Not video.. Enjoy :thumbs:

Another great update, thanks :thumbs:

Looking forward to the first test run which really needs to be streamed live for us all to watch.

Iain

Lookin' good, Ian. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm.

Another great update, thanks :thumbs:

Looking forward to the first test run which really needs to be streamed live for us all to watch.

Iain

Thanks Iain, streaming would be a great idea if it were not for the rubbish internet in the workshop area.. Not even 3G!

The good news is I'm slightly more awake than this morning, so here the brake reservoirs that I did remember..

WN636_zpsv9ccwcnd.jpg

The bit I couldn't remember was the extra bits of angle I welded to the fender pan frame.. I thought it might be handy to have something solid to bolt the seat to :D

WN640_zpsgjpueyg1.jpg

Today has been all about getting the brakes working.. Here's the master cylinders all plumbed in.. The blue pipe is air line hose.. I did test to see if brake fluid would eat it away or not but sticking an off cut in a pot of fluid for a few days.. It didn't so I used it :)

WN637_zpsffce1mwh.jpg

Front and rear brake line splitters fitted..

WN638_zpssbf1in49.jpg

WN639_zpsprosp9z2.jpg

It took a few hours of fine tuning but the strange system does exactly what I want it to do... Only a little air left in the system to get out and the brakes will be done :thumbs:

Ian, looking very good indeed. What's the next job to do on your list?

Thanks Andrew, the next on the list is below :D

Air filters fitted, here's one of em.

WN641_zpsp9rqcogd.jpg

All the pedals are fitted and connected up.

WN642_zpsbyxsa0ki.jpg

WN643_zpsnt97soqh.jpg

Nigel being the good bloke he is spent a while this afternoon cleaning up the welds on the front wheels.... A before and after kinda shot.

WN646_zpsijfg1tfe.jpg

A close up.

WN644_zpsvooicb7q.jpg

As much as I liked the look of the rust on the hood it has to be painted red, so I made a start on the rust clean up.. Not fun!

WN645_zpsparfcrsf.jpg

As much as I had hoped to have her ready for a drive tomorrow, she won't be ready in time... So it will be Monday or Tuesday next week now..