Ian

Project "Why Not"

Looking great! Once it's finished don't paint it! Have a rat rod,

Instead of the normal... Taking rust away, make rust, have a nice looking rat rod. Get the exhaust pipe chromed, make the rear rims wider have wide semi slick tyres on the rear, one of them fancy looking chain steering wheels, there's so much you could do to.. 'Tart' it up, or then again you could paint it, stick a few racing decals on there with a racing number, either way this will look great!!! Top work,

Thanks Charlie, I'm undecided on the paint at the mo, I quite like the "Rat Rod" look, but I do have a few radical ideas on a very different paint job...   I'm also itching to break out the airbrush again, it's been so long since I last did any.. Anything could happen with the paint at this stage :D

glad to be of assistance and I think the new plan is more sensible than using the wh transmission...

plus who needs reverse :D

I'm not sure if the new potential top speed of over 100mph is  sensible, but I get what your saying :D

I need to get some small switches wired into the heels of my boot's, connect them to a beeper.. That way every time I push the beast backwards from the seat with my feet...... :D

Sierra/herald type diff,chain drive to seperate axle shafts with a method of locking them together, cheap difflock.

That's some interesting thinking, a lot of work and weight though.. And with less weight at the back I stand more chance of keeping the front wheels on the ground for longer :D

The Honda is no more....  As I'm using part of the bike frame, all the unwanted part got trimmed off leaving this..

WN50_zpsa7487c1a.jpg

WN51_zpsf1843f73.jpg

And while I was in the shed looking for a box to put bike bit's in, I found these "deep dish" wheels that I think were on a C series Wheel Horse at some point.. Much easier to make bolt on able and will give the beast a slightly wide track..

WN52_zpsabe5834a.jpg

Smaller rear wheels? That helps with the gearing a lot! Top speed will be about 2/3 what it was...

Nope, they are the new front wheels :D

The rear wheels and tyres will be staying the size they are, in my eye's "Why Not" just wouldn't look right without them :)

I managed to grab a couple of hours in the shack today, and thought I would mock everything up at the correct ride height to get some measurements.. The chassis has 4 inches ground clearance at the front and 4 1/2 inches at the back :D

WN54_zps7769fa43.jpg

Just pile it all in place and work it out from there :D   The Wh trans won't be staying, I just hadn't got round to unbolting it.

WN55_zps73d165d3.jpg

Oh, and the angled drive thingy from Nigel will now for part of the steering system.. With a smaller mounting plate on the base of the unit I will be able to run the steering shaft under the engine :D

WN56_zps6a3268f3.jpg

The trouble is finding one that's strong enough and within my price range!!

Toying with Chris's idea of using a car IRS setup, but that would limit me a bit and I'd not be able to change gear ratios should the urge take me..

Also thinking about making my own axle and maybe some ally wheel hubs!! We shall see..

UPDATE!!!!     Quad rear end found, it even has a diff lock :D    Just got to work out how to get it back from Scotland now :D

im not collecting that for you  :D

It would cost in fuel about about 10 times (maybe more) than I've paid for postage :D

Good find Ian !

Thanks James, I can't wait until it gets here (early next week) so I can make a proper start on "Why Not" rather than just keep balancing bit's in place and looking with a silly grin on my face :D

Not much to report yet, so to give you a few photo's to look at until the axle arrives I went searching for some steel to use as part of the chassis..

Can you spot it?, Right at the back behind the trailer of mostly scrap metal.. The small box section frame from Garry's trike will be saved :)

WN57_zps186baa47.jpg

Yep, buried in the nettle is the filming trailer I made quite a while back!

WN58_zps30c5157c.jpg

That's right, I'm cutting up the filming trailer.. It's just never been used since it was built, it's too hard getting enough people together at the same time..

And anyway, I need the steel and might have a good use for the wheel hubs :)

WN59_zps50318c6c.jpg

Now available in kit form :D

WN60_zps358bb268.jpg