Ian

Project "Why Not"

Coming together Ian :thumbs:

Thanks Mark..

Looks great. Really starting to look the piece... Well done mate.

Thanks Charlie, it's looking even more the part after the past two days..

And what a two days it has been.. This sudden house move lark has slowed things down a bit but over the past couple of days I have got the top chassis rail tacked in place..

WN245_zps3df87467.jpg

WN246_zps1b3978d6.jpg

WN247_zpsa5cf6ab6.jpg

Thanks guy's, it has been quite fun working it all out :D

A small update for you.. The chassis has gained some strength, joining the sides, top and bottom together..

WN248_zps751065a9.jpg

The prop shaft  has been temporary tack welded together so I can see where it will run..

WN249_zps74345419.jpg

A bit of strength at the Wh chassis and the extra chassis joining point... Quite why I didn't go to the inside edge of the WH chassis rails I'm not sure.. Something for later me thinks..

WN250_zps2cb6f8ac.jpg

And two temporary mounts to hold the bodywork in place..

WN251_zpscb109b3b.jpg

Like so :)

WN252_zps6ae93498.jpg

By using the latest in hi-tech axle fixing materials..

WN253_zpsda8bf206.jpg

Project Why Not is rolling once again... :D

WN254_zps98a4de44.jpg

The narrowed trailer axle won't be staying but it is handy for getting some wheels under the back :lol:

WN255_zps7d684758.jpg

Looks better in the flesh! :)

Thanks Mark, it will look even better soon :D

I'm not sure what's going on but I did update this thread about 20 mins ago but it's vanished!!   Best try again..

Well today I finally started working on Why Not again which felt rather nice after weeks of bench building and getting the new house sorted out..

This is what she looked like when I arrived in the workshop this morning..

TM41_zpsfc7b939f.jpg

It didn't take long to get her stripped down to an almost naked chassis..

WN256_zps5ed514b7.jpg

The front axle soon came off followed by the front of the chassis!!!

WN257_zpsf65d0cf2.jpg

So why did I cut the front of the chassis off?    Well, after much thought I have decided to remove what was left of the original chassis, the main reason being strength which is a nice thing to have plenty of with all the hp the engine produces..

It also looks quite out of place with the rest of the box chassis rails.

But before I can remove all the original chassis, I need to add some new chassis rails each side..

A bit hard to see from the photo's but the new rails gradually tuck in under the engine and straighten up at the front again for the new front axle I'm going to make..

WN258_zps3d527f61.jpg

WN259_zps2aad5d54.jpg

WN260_zpse3f4e2cd.jpg

Not a huge amount of progress, but it's a start :D

Looking good, not much WH left now

Thanks Iain, there's even less Wh left now!

Yesterday was the day the last bit of the original Wh chassis was removed..

WN263_zps934ede59.jpg

The new chassis certainly looks cleaner without the old rails inside :)

WN262_zps56827040.jpg

The front end is starting to take shape. The big box across the front will become the new front axle after it has had a change of shape, some strengthening and something added to give it a real Hot rod look :D

WN265_zps0c5f8197.jpg

WN264_zps1eaf178e.jpg

Oh... And I found a spare plug yesterday :D

WN266_zpse9e647df.jpg

Ian, This is getting better all the time. Good call on removing the old chassis, it looks so much better. What size box are you using for the chassis, it looks like 50x25x3 although in some shots it looks more like 75x50?

Cheeky thought. As it is looking better the more WH you remove the better, I wonder if the same could be said for all WH's :hide:

Its amazing how much reading a guy has to do to get caught up, when he hasn't been around awhile! Amazing work Ian!  :bow:

Matt

Thanks Matt, it's good to see you back on MOM again :thumbs"

Ian, This is getting better all the time. Good call on removing the old chassis, it looks so much better. What size box are you using for the chassis, it looks like 50x25x3 although in some shots it looks more like 75x50?

Cheeky thought. As it is looking better the more WH you remove the better, I wonder if the same could be said for all WH's :hide:

Hi Iain, the box is all 50x25x3 although it does look different depending on what angle you see it at..

Why Not will look a lot better when I put bit's of Wh back on, ie the body :D

Evening all, the tale of Why Not's chassis continues with some more metal being added on Monday..

The front of the engine cradle had some mounts welded on, the small holes need to be drilled out a bit so I can weld some crush tube in, then they will be ready for bolts.

WN270_zpsa54da19d.jpg

A couple of diagonal strengtheners.

WN268_zps89c8f075.jpg

This small bit of box will be the front body tub mounts.

WN269_zps13c96236.jpg

I think the chassis is starting to look quite good now :D

WN272_zps4f8bbbe1.jpg

WN267_zps9ebbf674.jpg

Which has got me around to thinking that's it's about time I got the axle narrowing finished and narrowed the axles...

WN273_zps02b399a9.jpg

Which is why I spent a lot of today getting my lathe all bolted down and up and running :D

WN274_zpsfd6c27de.jpg

Cutting/cooling fluid is pumped from this Ford screen washer bottle as it has been for years..

WN275_zpsf4317903.jpg

But this time the pump is powered by a model railway controller thingy, ideal for changing the speed of the flow :thumbs:

WN276_zpseb7945a5.jpg

If all goes to plan tomorrow I might even get both axles done....

But to tide you over here's my latest "Why Not" video..

Ian, the screen wash bottle is a great idea. I see you have the hammer on standby in case you need to adjust the new controller.

Love the video, the chassis is looking great.

I noticed that you have tacked the chassis onto the rear axle brackets. Are you planning on eventually bolting the brackets to the chassis so the axle is removable or will it be welded in place?

Iain

Just a thought also Ian.

I dont think those old tyres will put up to mutch speed when you get going??

Also love the model railway control

Ian, the screen wash bottle is a great idea. I see you have the hammer on standby in case you need to adjust the new controller.

Love the video, the chassis is looking great.

I noticed that you have tacked the chassis onto the rear axle brackets. Are you planning on eventually bolting the brackets to the chassis so the axle is removable or will it be welded in place?

Iain

Hi Iain, the hammer is only there as I've not found a home for it yet :D   Spot on with your bracket guesswork, yes the axle will be bolted to the chassis through the brackets. The axle needs to come off so I can split it and put the diff back in :D

Just a thought also Ian.

I dont think those old tyres will put up to mutch speed when you get going??

Also love the model railway control

Hi Chris, don't worry the tyres will be replaced by new ones before any daft speeds are reached.. The old tyres could be handy for doing some burn-outs though :lol:

Slicks and a wheelie bar. :thumbs:

I'm not sure about slicks (until it goes up the strip of course) but a wheelie bar might be handy :lol:

Well chaps, no going back now :D

WN277_zps63f529e0.jpg

Next post will have a useable axle then :thumbs:

Almost :D

Well today was stick the axles back together day, starting with a bit of notching.. Like so..

WN280_zpsafb102e5.jpg

Not quite the perfect fit but better to notch out not enough material than take out too much at this stage..

WN281_zps0a7fd831.jpg

Using one of the old fashioned thick cutting discs as a grinding disc I could remove a little metal at a time and keep it flat..

WN282_zpsc39f97ec.jpg

Until I had a perfect notch.. The overlap is 1 inch by the way..

WN283_zps9571318a.jpg

That's a much better fit :thumbs:

WN284_zps4236d7e4.jpg

To make sure the welds had something to really bite into and fill up all the edges of the joins very deeply V'd.

WN285_zps1061795e.jpg

Time to start welding, but it wasn't me who did the welding!!  As Nigel's boy Karl is a coded welder and he happened to be about today I asked him if he would be kind enough to weld my axles up for me.. And a grand job he made of it too.. Thanks Karl :thumbs:

WN286_zpsf47efc3f.jpg

A finished pair of half shafts :D

The plan was to shrink fit some sleeves over the join but as Karl knows what he is doing with a welder and the extra heat caused by shrink fitting then welding a sleeve could well weaken the shafts, so the sleeves will be staying off..

WN287_zpse02fdac5.jpg

Ian, very impressed with your progress, there's no stopping you now. Also enjoyed the video too.

Thanks Andrew, it's so nice to be working on Why Not again :D