rotoscytheben

mountfield emblem electric rotary mower

A nice find Ben, I like the "space age" look....   Would look really cool with the ally body (it looks like ally from here :) ) polished up :D

cheers mate yes its ali im thinking soda blasting it then laquer to keep it shiney its on the list anyway

thanks paul i saved it from the scrap yard it runs and cuts well height adjuster works well too just needs doing up going to have to find another mountfield plastic raised decal though not going to be easy i dont think

Not sure about "Emblem" (unless its written on it!!"

I believe it to be an M35 which was first made in 1973 and continued unchanged , except for the colour, until  1979 when it became the M35LS.

Think that yours will be fitted with the virtually indestructible Leroy-Somer induction motor. The only thing that ever went wrong with them was a failed starting capacitor which was an easy and cheap fix.   

Not sure about "Emblem" (unless its written on it!!"

I believe it to be an M35 which was first made in 1973 and continued unchanged , except for the colour, until  1979 when it became the M35LS.

Think that yours will be fitted with the virtually indestructible Leroy-Somer induction motor. The only thing that ever went wrong with them was a failed starting capacitor which was an easy and cheap fix.   

im affraid your wrong angus here is the spec plate for the emblem!!!!

post-220-0-66162800-1408910003_thumb.jpg

Interesting, but that's why I said "unless"!

None of the parts books that I have show the use of the Emblem name on that model and it first appears on the lightweight four wheeled machine some years later. Nowhere is that model number shown in relation to your configuration of machine however there is a gap between the late 70s and around 1986 where Mountfield are using three digit 83* model numbers so I'm guessing that your machine is early 80s. Perhaps anyone else with a similar machine can look and see what theirs is called?

Edited by Wristpin

Interesting, but that's why I said "unless"!

None of the parts books that I have show the use of the Emblem name on that model and it first appears on the lightweight four wheeled machine some years later. Nowhere is that model number shown in relation to your configuration of machine however there is a gap between the late 70s and around 1986 where Mountfield are using three digit 83* model numbers so I'm guessing that your machine is early 80s. Perhaps anyone else with a similar machine can look and see what theirs is called?

apparently mountfield came down to culverwells and took photos of it they had never seen one either 

i didnt see you at tractorfest in biddenden over the weekend i thought you might have come over and had a look around?

Tractorfest, unfortunately otherwise engaged.

Doesn't surprise me that "Mountfield" didn't know anything about it as it would have been made in the days when it was the original Mountfield company which then became part of Ransomes Consumer with Westwood in Plymouth - first opportunity for loss of documents and knowledge; then they sold the brand to GGP (Global Garden Products) - second loss of company history and knowledge and the Mountfield range became re-badged Stigas. So now the company will be staffed by people with no Mountfield DNA or knowledge.

In the course of these moves and changes of ownership, old hard copy parts and service manuals were probably binned making it increasingly difficult to resolve little mysteries such as this Emblem badging.

i finally tracked down a good emblem grass box to go on the old girl from  the old auction site

it may well be slightly more modern than it was originally supplied with but it is the correct one

here is a pic of it

post-220-0-84829300-1410020755_thumb.jpg

well seeing as winter is drawing near it was about time i started thinking about those smaller teatime type projects such as the emblem

i decided a while back to vapour blast the alloy deck which looks kind of space age i will re=paint the roller frames backflap and handle but leave the deck raw and lacquer it i reckon it will look just brill :D

here are some pics of the stripdown

post-220-0-89279800-1414941367_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-58580100-1414941428_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-50642000-1414941496_thumb.jpg

Yes! Never seen anything that's been vapour blasted.

The same here, it will be interesting to see how it looks fresh from blasting..

Ben and I were talking about me having Why Not's engine vapor blasted, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks.

well after quite a while in bits this is finally back together although not in bare polished look as i had initially intended due to pitting of the alloy, i dont think it would have looked as good as i would have liked

so ive gone for original mountfield red and a bit of black and white here and there

here are a few pics  

post-220-0-78860500-1425058666_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-67420200-1425058738_thumb.jpgpost-220-0-77741100-1425058806_thumb.jpg

once the handles have been done i will update with finished pics