Stormin

C-120 refurb.

Good fix Norm :thumbs: ...... I trust you have noted on your reassembly list to remove the rubber seals from those bearings before closing up the Tranny case?.......Or are you doing a 'Greased for Life' job on the outer Needle Bearings?.  

Now there's a thought, Richard. Yes, the seals will be removed before assembly. But you've given me an idea. How does this sound?  Only remove the inner seal. The bearing will still receive oil from in the box. Fit a grease nipple to driveshaft tube and grease the needle bearing? Could use one shot grease as in Land Rover swivel housings.

Comments, please.

How does this sound?  Only remove the inner seal. The bearing will still receive oil from in the box. Fit a grease nipple to driveshaft tube and grease the needle bearing? Could use one shot grease as in Land Rover swivel housings  Comments, please.

Feasible. Is that One shot grease similar to the type used in CV Joints?.

Only problem I see after fitting a grease nipple 'Inboard' into the D/S tube is a need for a 'One Way' relief valve for the greasing procedure and would be best sited between the outer Needle Bearing(s) and the Shaft Seal(s), otherwise it would blow the seal(s). 

Nipples would also need to be in a position that would not interfere with any form of Rear Hitch Unit, say for a Snow Plough etc. 

Lovely job there Norm :thumbs: :thumbs:.

I wonder if anyone has tried 6908 bearings which are 40mm x 62mm x 12mm which would indicate no case machining required, just thin sleeves for o/d & i/d, & maybe a thin shim for axial positioning. I wonder if they would be man enough for the job. It would certainly appear a lot less hassle ( & expense ) than machining the cases or diff.

If they would work OK, there could be a "nice little earner" for someone with a lathe making & selling  kits of sleeves & shims,(Ian, Mark, Richard)? :D :D

Doug.

Just read the full post, you are doing some great work and lots of really useful information :thumbs:

The only problem is that I am now worried about possible wear on the drive shafts of my WH's.

:woohoo:  Got the trans all back together today and it all works.  Well it does now, after I worked out that some how, a gear and spline was fitted upside down. :rolleyes:  Next job is to paint it  and bolt it to the chassis.

Loctite 598 flange sealant in a big tube is good for this type of joint Mark, I may have some you can try. It's not Silicone based. When you used the Hylomar,dd you apply to ALL

surfaces and allow to dry, like you would "Evostick" before assembling, that's the only way I could get my Sunbeam engine oil tight in the past.

Got a little more done today. Trans is primed and both gear change levers. Bottom steering shaft and rear support bearing bracket finish painted. Lift lever removed from tower and tower in e-tank.