Triumph66

Bolens Husky tractor

I got a seat but it's knackered and will need replacing at some point. I was on EBay USA last night and even my model is a bit of a rarity over there so may now consider doing a sympathetic restoration once it's up and running. I have ordered a few bits and bobs so far. I am now on my first day of my holiday (hurrah!) and just been told our electricity bill for the last quarter is just under £1400....... Fortunately our supplier will investigate this anomaly and told us to enjoy our holiday! I told my wife that this is a case in point about not running an electric car due to these expensive problems; far better to run a thirst guzzling V8 engine......

The butterfly nut on the rear wheel is supposedly a diff lock! Apparently the operator just reaches over and switches the knob from the comfort of his seat. in my case, it will need freeing up with heat and liberal spraying of WD40!

I thought the 'butterfly nuts' were the same as the'spinners' ie. knock on/off wheel retainers we had on old sports cars with wire wheels etc,or even F1 cars for quick wheel changes when you get a puncture in the middle of cutting the lawn. :D :D

i thought that nut was only for taking the slack out of the axle, the diff is locked with a pin on the inside of the right wheel as far as i remember :rolleyes:

I have just found this forum and thought I would reply to this post.

I have a large collection of Bolens tube frame tractors plus several other Bolens and Wheelhorse tractors, and most of the Bolens tube frame attachments. I don't have a 1254 but I do have a 1054 which is the 10hp version of your tractor.

The pin on the inside of the wheel is so that you can push the tractor without the engine running and the nut is for the diff lock. This must not be done up tight.

Over the years I have taken most things apart on these tractors, so if you get stuck let me know. If it has not run for a while you will probably find that the clutch is stuck on.

The most reliable source of parts in my experience is Sam at www.samsbolens.com/ and the cheapest is Jestin at http://www.tubeframes.com/

Best wishes

Iain

Quick picture of my 1054 and a couple of my other tractors, assuming I have got the hang of how to post pictures on this forum. Beware one Bolens is not enough!!!

I forgot to mention that I have a good selection of Bolens spares, that I have found alternative sources for some of the parts and both of the parts suppliers I mentioned also sell secondhand parts.

Looking at the pictures of your 1254, it looks like the lights are incorrect and you are missing part of the lift lever and fuel tank.

Iain

Selection of tractors

I have just found this forum and thought I would reply to this post.

I have a large collection of Bolens tube frame tractors plus several other Bolens and Wheelhorse tractors, and most of the Bolens tube frame attachments. I don't have a 1254 but I do have a 1054 which is the 10hp version of your tractor.

The pin on the inside of the wheel is so that you can push the tractor without the engine running and the nut is for the diff lock. This must not be done up tight.

Over the years I have taken most things apart on these tractors, so if you get stuck let me know. If it has not run for a while you will probably find that the clutch is stuck on.

The most reliable source of parts in my experience is Sam at www.samsbolens.com/ and the cheapest is Jestin at http://www.tubeframes.com/

Best wishes

Iain

looks like i rememberd wrong then :D

I have just been looking at the pictures of your 1254 again and it looks like you are missing the cover from the front of the engine. You may have just removed it for cleaning but if it is missing the engine is not going to cool very well.

It is a great looking tractor and you will be very pleased with it when you have got it running. Those Wisconsin engines are bullet proof and a lot better than the Tecumseh engines that were put in the later tube frame tractors.

Iain

Hello Iain,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for some very useful pointers on my Bolens. I have the front cover for the engine and a damaged petrol tank. What I am looking for is an air filter assembly if you have one spare? I am also on the lookout for a mower deck as well? I am sure I will come across a few more issues.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

It is possible that I may have an air filter as I do have a scrap engine. The challenge will be getting to it, I will get back to you but it may take a while. Let me know if you find one in the interim as the challenge of getting to it is not insignificant. I think I have six cutting decks for the tube frame tractors but at the moment I don't want to loose any. I recently scrapped a 34" deck from my Bolens 850 so I have a few spare deck parts.

You may want to contact Chester Hudson http://www.mdr.co.uk/tillerparts/tillerparts4.html to see if he has a deck. I am sure he will have an air filter if you can't wait for me to get back to you.

I have a PDF parts manual for the 1254, a Tube frame service manual and a Wisconsin service manual plus lots of others, let me know your email address if you want a copy of any or all.

Iain

Iain,

Thanks again for the contacts. My email address is amidgley66@yahoo.co.uk I am definitely interested in the air filter assembly and can wait happily until you unearth it!

You got a very interesting collection and you will certainly be a very useful chap to have on this forum.

Cheers

Andrew

At long last, due to family bereavements, I have loaded my 1254 to go to Dorset to a friend (Daniel, aka Robins) to fit a new wiring loom in it and to do some carb fettling. When I got it back in early autumn I pumped up the tyres and greased everywhere and unlocked the diff lock to enable her to move around freely. Today, she moved from the back of the garage for the first time and onto the back of the Hilux. She's really is a solid bit of kit and worth the effort to revive her. I got a new fuel tank, battery tray, belts, air filter and other items to aid her rejuvenation. She will be dropped off tomorrow morning. Be good to have a catch up with Daniel and see how his WHs are faring.

post-259-0-45055100-1432415959_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-32310900-1432416435_thumb.jpg

I dropped off the 1254 this morning at Daniel's house. Here are some photos of my Bolens in its new surroundings and some photos of Daniel's rare Wheel Horse. It's an electronic one apparently. And yes that's a tow rope to tow my Bolens down to his workshop. Childishly, he got a photo of me and my Bolens being towed behind his WheelHorse.post-259-0-13359100-1432486996_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-47811600-1432487197_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-20396200-1432487504_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-88511200-1432487338_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-63137900-1432487671_thumb.jpg

Your 1254 looks great Andrew. It will be good to see it up and running

It is rare that a WH get to tow a Bolens, it is usually the other way around :yankchain:  Pleased you didn't post the picture that really would be letting the side down.

Iain

I fear that Daniel will upload a photo of this incident in the fullness of time!

However, once my1254 is up and running, I will challenge him to a race around his garden! If I win then that's sorted but if I loose I will blame him for his workmanship!

That's a lovely Wheel Horse Daniel got and that exhaust made it so quite too.

I will be buying some ag tyres for the Bolens and for the front a set of 3 ribbed tyres as the front ones are practically bald. A tug of war would be fun whatever happens!

53 pounds for Kenda BKTs, I like the 8.50 wide for AG tyres and the 10.50 wide for turfs tyres, this outfit seems to have good prices on tyres.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=68497939.110.11435&Breite=23x8.50&Quer=&Felge=12&Speed=&kategorie=&Marke=Kenda&ranzahl=2&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Kenda&m_s=4&weiter=10&rsmFahrzeugart=AS&search_tool=standard&details=Ordern&typ=R-188542

Thanks Alain. Just had a look; a good price. I would really like those 3 ribbed tyres for the front too. I think All Terrain Tyres have them. I will check them out too.

You mean like these? At 29 p. WITH tubes, that's not bad.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=68497939.110.11435&Breite=4.80&Quer=&Felge=8&Speed=&kategorie=&Marke=&ranzahl=2&S_Z=&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&m_s=4&weiter=10&rsmFahrzeugart=AS&search_tool=standard&details=Ordern&typ=R-185269