HeadExam

Slaughter of 15 iconic American Buffalos

i call BS on not using sleepy darts, they will work. mate of mine had some bulls escape, they were put to sleep with a dose that wil put down an elephant and they lived. respect for the hunter who didn't wan't to shoot blindly at those buffalo's

I was somewhat miffed by Old Buzzards response in another section, but I don't believe he intentionally wanted to be be insensitive to the situation. We are social constructed animals, therefore we say and do things that we learned through the socialization process that happens in all facets of our lives. Before last year I thought I was culturally sensitive to others due to my experience with being a victim of culturally insensitive comments and actions. After taking Multicultural Counseling at University, it really opened my eyes as to how we don't mean to be insensitive or uncaring to another culture, but it happens. My fathers family was German and French, he met my mom while stationed in the states her family was Irish and Cherokee. When I came to the states I lived in the same house and went to the same school for 10 years, but I was always the foreign kid or the German. My mothers family were from Ireland, the Irish as many know were horribly discriminated against here in America, and those Irish that married Native Americans, like my grandfather did, were thought of as less than human. Native Americans and Americans of all nationalities look at the American Bison as a symbol of our great nation, like the Bald Eagle, to destroy it in the way that was done in NY brings back very hurtful memories to those of native descent and should do the same for any American or a person that is concerned about the environment. We humans have not been good stewards of our environment and our time of being wasteful and destructive is coming to a close. It's all I have to say about this, except to say that I will strive to be better and do better.

It's easy to armchair quarterback the call, but the people on the ground, including  the owner said that it was the right thing to do.

From some of the various articles on the incident."

“The last thing we wanted to do was put these animals down,†Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple said. “But it wasn’t a safe scene.â€

Bethlehem police Lt. Thomas Heffernan said the decision was made after experts agreed tranquilizers would not be effective and no portable corrals or trailers could hold the animals

Thomas Gallagher, a Cornell Cooperative Extension large animal expert who has worked with GEM and who consulted with authorities Friday, said tranquilizers are not effective against buffaloes because of their thick hides and doses need to be so high they are generally lethal.

This from the owner:

Mesick had previously admitted he had little hope they would be captured unharmed.

'There is a zero percent chance of getting them back right now I think. I just want to get this done with as fast as possible so that no one gets hurt,' he said earlier on Friday. 

He would have tried to bring the herd in himself, but they are wild and not tame.  A police helicopter was hovering over them to make sure the group did not split.

Yeah, it's a shame that it had to happen, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

It's easy to armchair quarterback the call, but the people on the ground, including  the owner said that it was the right thing to do.

From some of the various articles on the incident."

This from the owner:

Yeah, it's a shame that it had to happen, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I understand what you are saying OB, but everyone in the situation including the owner had a reason to side and reply the way they did, because they did not want to look like cruel and in humane individuals, and the owner wanted to lessen his responsibility for damages, which the local authorities would have leveled against him had he thrown a fit over the loss of property.

"Yeah, it's a shame that it had to happen, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do"

Winston Churchill once said, "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else".

It doesn't appear that much else was considered and in the end the result is what it is, but by that same thinking we could apply those rules to cats, dogs, or even people. For some reason I had the belief that people had evolved past the tendency to shoot first and asked question later, but recent events in many cities prove that very wrong. It seems there are many among us that see other living things as moving objects with targets painted on their backs, whether it be law enforcement or citizens, the level of compassion doesn't seem to rise to what I believe human beings should exhibit. The quotes from the shooters HARDLY dispels that belief.

The difference in your opinion and mine are not a right or wrong situation, it is a situation of how you and I are socially constructed differently, that occurs from the environment, family, peers, and other social institutions. I do understand your opinion and where it comes from, but at the same time I sure wish that you would attempt to see mine as well.

No matter what, I still see you as a great guy and one I would stand by anytime. Alain