Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Looking to replace a camper mattress

Kids left a window open and one of the mattress's got SOAKED.  It measures 30 x 74 and is 3 inches thick.  The current mattress is a cheap piece of foam, looking for ideas!

We had to replace the master bed in are 5th wheel soon after we got it. First trip out and decided that mattress must have been for display only. We went to a mattress outlet. It was easy though because it was a regular Queen size. Not sure what to do if one of the bunk's had to be replaced. You might check regular RV places or check on having one made. I think having one made might add up the $$$.

I was able to get the cover off the mattress, washed it really good.  Put the foam outside washed good with water and laundry detergent,  then to dry in the hot sun for a couple of days, spraying constantly with mold killer (to be safe).  New is $250!  Hopefully this will do the trick, that and the kids leaving the windows CLOSED!

We wanted to replace the mattress in an RV several years ago. The mattress that was on the bed was about 8" too long for the bed and you couldn't walk around the bed. We looked at new ones, but the price was out of the question.

The mattress was fine, just too long. My wife is very handy, and said, "I can take it (mattress) apart, cut out 8" and put it back together", so that is what we did.

She removed the stiching along the top & bottom of the mattress and we folded all the material back about 2 foot. We then went up each side about a foot and cut the large wire on top & bottom, removed 1 row of coils, and slid the cut pieces up along the longer section of wire th the length we wanted. We then "hog-ringed" the wires back together. She had to remove some of the bedding material, but put it all back together just like it was. My folks couldn't believe we disassembled the mattress, shortened the thing and reassembled it,

My wife told mom & dad, "I like a challenge", and to that, dad said "I wondered why you married Ken!" I get no respect!