MDJ

Tiny Tiger identify and rebuild help

Hello,

I bought a O&R Tiny Tiger generator several years ago at an antique store and would like to clean it up and get it running again. The only

numbers that are legible are the serial number #024548 and Type 111. Can anyone tell me what I have exactly and what year? The model

number is worn off of the sticker but I think it may be a 250 or 300.

Who has parts for this little bugger? I'm guessing I will need a carb rebuild kit, a points kit with the pushrod, maybe the magneto, maybe

other items too...IDK

Is there a service manual online someplace that would give step by step teardown and rebuild?

I kind of would like to do this myself in the garage but if it is going to require specialty tools and machining I would be willing to ship it to

someone with experience.

Thanks for reading

Matt

:WMOM:

Is it one like this?

SAM_5047a.jpg.2fb6bce0670ca9a4adedf7792271c7dd.jpgSAM_5061a.jpg.23a8729a138480e009acf16967205ce3.jpg

Type 111 is the model of engine commonly used for the earlier Tiny Tiger generators, was #024548 was found stamped into the crankcase?

Note we can't accurately date any engine made before July 1967, but if that number is on the crankcase I would estimate it was made around 1962.

If the air filter/cleaner housing has the original disintegrating foam be sure to remove all traces of it before attempting to start the engine. A new filter can be made by cutting a modern engine filter to size.

Webhead on here has new carb diaphragms for these engines, usually the points just need a clean & checking for a correct gap, very occasionally the capacitor or coil fails, but not often thankfully :fingerscrossed: (Unlike my other much older UK made engines, where they are almost guaranteed to be knackered).

I do have a manual for the generator section which I have been meaning to upload for quite a while, for guides on the carb & engine please have a look at the 'sticky' threads, if there is anything else you need to know ask and we will try & help.

David

Here are some pictures of it. Sorry but I’ve already disassembled it some. It looks very similar to yours. Yes the serial number is stamped on the crankcase (see pic). The points are probably fine but I think the pushrod end is broken off. The only thing wrong with the maginito is it jumps spark at the bottom of the discharge wire. Maybe some heat shrink would fix it IDK. 

I appreciate your input. 

Thanks 

Matt

DCF4135B-7F5E-4853-B9D3-5886EB68777D.jpeg

678DBE5B-6120-49DA-B34C-926AA86C682F.jpeg

5E0853D4-D181-441E-B655-E4AAF2DE06B0.jpeg

945605AA-67E2-449F-BCF5-2DD3D8593AF1.jpeg

57A462BC-021E-4C5D-BB0D-79684DDEDA03.jpeg

14 hours ago, MDJ said:

Here are some pictures of it. Sorry but I’ve already disassembled it some. It looks very similar to yours. Yes the serial number is stamped on the crankcase (see pic). The points are probably fine but I think the pushrod end is broken off. The only thing wrong with the maginito is it jumps spark at the bottom of the discharge wire. Maybe some heat shrink would fix it IDK. 

I appreciate your input. 

Hi Matt

Thanks for posting the pictures, it confirms what I said previously for the estimated age.

Here is a picture of a pushrod, the flat(-ish) end goes towards the crankshaft and the rounded end to the moving contact (points), if it looks like the one below and opens & close the points it should be fine.

SAM_5995a.jpg.edb6a78d3aea991dec49ffd5d20d6c01.jpg

As it's an earlier engine I'm not surprized the wiring is causing problems, on most of my early ones the rubber insulation has hardened & often cracked or fallen off in places too.

I use a few different sizes of heat-shrink sleeving to repair mine, just be very careful around the coil as the plastic it's made of will soften with heat. Also make sure it is clean of dirt to prevent any tracking of high voltage.

David