sten

Briggs & Stratton

Victa used a similar system. OK all the time the engine was in good condition with sealing valves and good compression but not so clever when it was past it's prime.

About ten years ago Briggs tried another system where releasing the OPC bar to stop the engine engaged a friction drive with the flywheel which wound up a powerful spring that was released for the next start.

Various manufacturing and service issues killed it within a year!

Edited by Wristpin

Yes Ive heard that they can be hard to start once they get a bit of wear. Never tried to start this but I will have a go.

Treat the engine to a careful valve job and you will increase your chances. Looks like your engine may have a pulsa-jet carb with the choke controlled by a diaphragm . Make sure that the choke closes completely as soon as the engine stops.

Victa used a similar system. OK all the time the engine was in good condition with sealing valves and good compression but not so clever when it was past it's prime.

About ten years ago Briggs tried another system where releasing the OPC bar to stop the engine engaged a friction drive with the flywheel which wound up a powerful spring that was released for the next start.

Various manufacturing and service issues killed it within a year!

i have the aspera tecumseh version on my bench at work came of an old mountfield m1 rotovator 

Treat the engine to a careful valve job and you will increase your chances. Looks like your engine may have a pulsa-jet carb with the choke controlled by a diaphragm . Make sure that the choke closes completely as soon as the engine stops.

Ok will do wristpin, thanks. The choke is controlled by cable, I prefer manual chokes.

The choke is controlled by cable,

That would be the throttle cable; are you saying that it is operating a mechanical choke when past the full throttle position?

Please post an image with the air filter removed and perhaps the Model, type and code of the engine.

Edited by Wristpin

That would be the throttle cable; are you saying that it is operating a mechanical choke when past the full throttle position?

Please post an image with the air filter removed and perhaps the Model, type and code of the engine.

Yes past full throttle position. Pictures with choke off, on and numbers.

post-204-0-40053500-1407237125_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-72072200-1407237172_thumb.jpg

post-204-0-83819200-1407237209_thumb.jpg