usedtoolman

Preparing an O&R engine for storage

I have quite a few O&R tools so most of them don't get run very often. I have found that even with draining the gasoline and running the carb as dry as possible they often have a stuck check valve in the carb after a year or so. To avoid this problem I have changed my shut down routine for any engine that is going into prolonged storage.

After draining and drying the gas tank and removing the fuel line, I remove the diaphragm chamber from the carb, take the top off and remove the diaphragm. I rinse the bottom half with spray type carb cleaner and then run a little through the check valve. I then dry eveything with a gentle air flow before reassembling. This whole process only takes 10 -15 minutes and it assures me that the engine will restart when I take it out of storage.

Now if I could just find a way to keep points from oxidizing..

That's a good idea

I wonder if the points were stopped in the open position, if that might slow the oxidizing. Or a tiny dab of dielectric grease?

Just thinking out loud

It is also a good idea to pour a small amount of oil into the cylinder through the spark-plug hole before storage. Distribute the oil by pulling the starter rope slowly, with the engine held at various angles. This is recommended in the challenger chainsaw manual.

One of the already restored engines I bought, ended up with a struck piston presumably from storage without oil. Some oil left to soak in the cylinder over a few days freed it up OK though.

There are contact cleaners/lubricants available that claim to prevent corrosion, although I don't know how long they last.

David

Here is a ebay picture I found of the O&R winterising procedure, that came with an engine supplied through Rupert Ledger & Co. Ltd. (the UK distributor for O&R engines). It also mentions using a teaspoonful of oil in the cylinder and stopping the piston halfway to prevent damp air entering via the exhaust.

David

Winterising Procedure e.jpg