hpearce

Ransome MG2 manufacture date

Inspired by expeatfarmers pictures of MG2 no 137 I took the top off the gearbox of my MG2, both crown wheels are marked AV 9x34 with no other markings on the rims, makes me wonder if they are replacements for the original ones. Does anyone know if this is likely? At least I know that the brakes have plenty of life left in them!

I am trying to find the date of manufacture because the serial no is not readable on the registration plate.

Hi

From my experience there should be a lot more numbers on the crown wheel than those you have found so as you say they may be a replacement. 

If you are really lucky there may be the serial number of the tractor stamped into the underside of the gearbox cover or you may be able to decipher the number off the plate by removing it and looking at the body in the hope that the stamp marks have indented the body.Sometimes you can extract the number by taking a photo of the plate and playing around on a computer with editing the contrast and tones.

Which engine does your tractor have? If you have the engine number we may be able to date that by comparing it to known tractors.

Thankyou for the reply, the underside of the gear box cover was blank, am reluctant to remove the serial no plate as the rivets look original so will have a go at photographing it and adjusting the contrast etc. The engine no is TB5993 which going by the list on the MG Register in another place I reckon makes it approx 1944 or 1945

Thankyou very much for the advice re photo as a result of this I now know my MG2 to be no 1741 making it a 1945 machine. I am very pleased to have discovered this and really appreciate your help,

Thanks again, Hugh

I am hoping to find a way of enhancing the serial no on the existing plate without restamping it. The serial no is stamped using a different type of stamp to the model no, is this usual?

Hugh