BIGBucks35X

Commando 8 work horse

Hi all

Its been a while! 

I have recently purchased another WH commando 8 in a much more complete condition than my other one, I have finally got round to increasing the size of the veg patch and want to use the wh for some of the groundwork, I thought I would check the gearbox oil before doing any hard work with her and not to my surprise twas a creamy sludge, probably from sitting outside? I drained the sludge and flushed the gearbox out but I'm not sure how much oil should be in it, the only value I could find was 2 quarts but that seems like to much, so I though just fill it to the (I presume) level plug? But I didn't want to underfill it and end up getting hot.

Anyone know how much there should be?

Thanks

Also I will add some photos tomorrow hopefully doing some work!

Hello all,

I've now sorted the gearbox and the head gasket that was blowing a bit and she runs lovely now (two head bolt were only finger tight!!), then next step is to get the deck plumbed in, my problem is I cant seem to find the size for the belts that go between the engine and the deck?  I've had problems like this before and short of buying a belt, seeing if it fits and then returning it for one slightly shorter or longer, I never seem to have much success! could anyone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Do you have a copy of your deck manual , that show or give you part numbers for required belts, failing that ,let me know and I will see if my commando eight has belt numbers.

Hi Neil, I don't have any manuals or paperwork for it nor could I seem to find anything on the internet! If your belts are still legible that would be a good help, the belts that run front to back of the deck seem to be quite a pointy profile? alternatively I could take the whole thing to my local hayley bearings, there always good to me with these old machines, and see what fits!

Thanks for your help

Luke

Thanks, got some new belts and they seem to be the right size, I presume you have to take the transfer shaft bit between the blades off to change the belts onm the deck? Next step will be to self up the deck and get it cutting nicely!