CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Little Wonder Trimmer

John,

Great idea on the scissor style punch. I’ve got an older set of leather punches but I remember my mom using one of those scissor style punches and that would be a much more accurate way to do it (heck I might ask her if she still has it).

Just a general question but I’m wondering if anyone has used an ultrasonic parts cleaner with any success to clean the really grimy O&R engine parts and carbs.  I’ve been toying around with the idea of maybe getting one at some point.

Clint

On 2/4/2019 at 12:57 AM, CNew said:

I also couldn’t quite figure out how the main gear is removed. It appears to be held in with the pivot fork that connects to the engagement lever. I was hoping to avoid dismantling the lever fork but that might be necessary for the rest of the parts to be removed.

I didn't try to remove that as the rod holding the mechanism together looks to be more like a rivet, will have a look again when I have more free time.

17 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Another good thing to get is a set of hole punches for making new gaskets. I like the little plier type rather than the type you hit with a hammer. They make quick accurate work for making new paper gaskets. Just search around the web for a set with all different sizes.

Definitely useful to have a set of those to help with make new gaskets that are no longer available. I ended up buying a large Facom punch set, same as the one they have where I work (only because I found some punch sets for a third of the normal price on ePay), the set also has a adjustable bladed tool that can be used for creating larger round gaskets.

David

8 hours ago, CNew said:

Just a general question but I’m wondering if anyone has used an ultrasonic parts cleaner with any success to clean the really grimy O&R engine parts and carbs.  I’ve been toying around with the idea of maybe getting one at some point.

I had access to a very large multi tank ultrasonic machine (with hot air drying & vacuum drying tank) at work until about 6 months ago when they decided to EOL the line of work it was used for and dispose of it too, I will be honest it wasn't always that good at removing dirt, especially stuff on flat metal surfaces and was absolutely hopeless at cleaning very dirty metal parts (they often asked me to run items through it that it was never going to clean), but sometimes did an excellent (but unwanted) job of stripping PCB lacquer & even paint from the cases of items. And because the rinse tanks used water you could also end up with rusty parts too.

The machine had 3.5kW of generator modules available for the powering the ultrasonic transducers and heating for all the liquid tanks. Most of the small ones aimed at hobbyists are toys by comparison & only any good for removing light dust from jewellery.

I think one of the barrel type solvent cleaning tanks (uses some safer alternate to paraffin), with the solvent being continuously pumped through a brush would be far more useful for cleaning greasy/dirty engine bits, just no good for all the tiny bits that would get lost through the mesh. I just don't have space for one, plus they need cleaning out regularly too.

David

David,

Thank you for the feedback and advice on the ultrasonic route.  I trust experience over marketing so I appreciate that you’ve used these before and know first hand how well or not so well they work.  I think I’ll put that money toward more O&R engines and tools:D

Clint