CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: 1968 Devillaine Ouragan with O&R Engine

I believe this gearbox will work for the car. I will also look for a shaft that fits on the end of it for the pulley.

Before selling, let's make sure we can get or make all of the parts needed first. I would like to keep the engine for the snowblower -- BUT I will sell it for something like that car, because they are so rare.

IMG_0411.jpg.69799a023652af9fcae32cc9db657611.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg.d79c1c25ba1288d8b49c4fe79cc9023b.jpg

yes I understand they are very rare and mine and in my family for a very long time I think in the 70s and I would like to restore it for my son who is 8 years old and why not participate in the classic Le Mans

10 minutes ago, seb T said:

yes I understand they are very rare and mine and in my family for a very long time I think in the 70s and I would like to restore it for my son who is 8 years old and why not participate in the classic Le Mans

The car might be worth more NOT restored but cleaned up and mechanically restored. Fix and repair all the mechanical parts BEFORE painting anything.

It's difficult to know from just a few pictures but if there isn't any rot or large damage, keep it with the original paint as much as possible and looking vintage

That's nice been checking on here every now and then this is a great subject

I will add some pic's I have they may help. The drive pulley works as forward and

reverse the shifter in the drivers seat when you pull it back it gives slack on the belt

and the flat side hits the rubber on the disc to go in reverse

10423197.jpg.c64110fcd53e24d5825cdaa3c145252f.jpg2400_10471018_7.jpg.e4308a95466a475c06f15169d75e4df4.jpgpic13.jpg.a86aed9700f70f03e07cd79f29b141bf.jpg

2400_10471018_3.jpg.7b6f1060aa765701d83648736a96e59a.jpg

pic 8.jpg

Maybe the engine mounts on that lower bar behind the axle.

1843856621_carenginemountguess.jpg.1ecbec84c91371392ff9522f2e3e6cc8.jpg

Also looks like it needs a brake assembly. Maybe something like this but I do not know the size of the axle

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/drum-brake-assembly-for-coleman-ct200u-ct200u-ex-mb200.html?setCurrencyId=1&sku=VMC_1742-HUB001-200&msclkid=be931b774abc125132497effdac9c027

2 hours ago, seb T said:

I would love to see one of those old cars actually running. Especially so with a child having fun doing it at Le Mans. When is Le Mans?

4 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Found another pic I had its not a very good pic of the mounting. I thought this might help a pic of the ser #

Good pic of the brake assembly

18 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

I would love to see one of those old cars actually running. Especially so with a child having fun doing it at Le Mans. When is Le Mans?

looks like brakes off my old atc. you need to build one of these for your collection :D

Just now, JUST O&R said:

looks like brakes off my old atc. you need to build one of these for your collection :D

LOL Doubtful I have the skills necessary to make that metal body of the car.

I tried to import one of those cars a while back. It was EXPENSIVE but I couldn't get the guy to ship it.

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:

This is just a guess as to how the engine mounts and allows for reverse.

It's also possible to slide the engine instead of tilting it

1790589419_carenginemountguess.jpg.23fe2eea22a700000737ff78a5259dfd.jpg

The auction link in post #1 has a description of the reversing lever, I was thinking the same idea, the belt is loosen to slip and the flat part of the pulley is pushed towards the rubber tire on that large internal drive pulley.

It was powered by a two -stroke engine with an integrated fuel tank and a centrifugal clutch and had a reverse using a reversing lever located in the cockpit, while the start was by using a pull cord launcher. Powered by an American brand called Ohlsson & Rice, whose primary use were for chainsaws and other similar equipment, the engine had a displacement of 20cc, a cooling fan and a hair-raising max power of 0.86bhp, which allowed aspiring racers to get to between 15 and 20 km/h.

So we have several pictures showing the larger size double reduction gearbox, this narrows it down to Models F & J at 900 RPM or Models U & V at 1750 RPM, the model or type is on the opposite side to the serial number, exactly where no one would photo it. Models J & V have a clutch fitted.

David

5 hours ago, factory said:

The auction link in post #1 has a description of the reversing lever, I was thinking the same idea, the belt is loosen to slip and the flat part of the pulley is pushed towards the rubber tire on that large internal drive pulley.

So we have several pictures showing the larger size double reduction gearbox, this narrows it down to Models F & J at 900 RPM or Models U & V at 1750 RPM, the model or type is on the opposite side to the serial number, exactly where no one would photo it. Models J & V have a clutch fitted.

David

I'd imagine it's going to be the 900 RPM gearbox with a clutch. Just by guessing on those pulley sizes and the tire size, then putting those numbers into a RPM to ground speed calculator it estimates it at about  11-12 Km/h or about 7-8 MPH. Which would seem about right for a child's car

On 12/24/2023 at 9:50 PM, Wallfish said:

yes the event is called little big mans I think it will be in 2025 end of June beginning of July

Jumping in late here, it’s great to see this car again and the gang already figuring out how to get it back together.  That Little Big Mans would be an amazing event to see in person!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Seems I have the correct gearbox. Can you please verify the shaft on your engine so I can verify if this gearbox will fit on your engine?

IMG_0414.jpg.92a87bbf378951fcf60e6b7cff257548.jpg

20231222_183952.jpg.42d2a755b1ef09a344bf61e259f0f80d.jpg.8c7bf59ecc399cd4d78ab48830ac0d96.jpg

On 12/26/2023 at 5:00 PM, Wallfish said:

Seems I have the correct gearbox. Can you please verify the shaft on your engine so I can verify if this gearbox will fit on your engine?

IMG_0414.jpg.92a87bbf378951fcf60e6b7cff257548.jpg

20231222_183952.jpg.42d2a755b1ef09a344bf61e259f0f80d.jpg.8c7bf59ecc399cd4d78ab48830ac0d96.jpg

20231227_214023.jpg

3 hours ago, seb T said:

20231227_214023.jpg

Good, it has the key slots in it. A gearbox shaft with or without the keys will fit onto that engine shaft.

The pulley will probably need to be made by a machinist.

Your engine looks to be complete so that's good.  But it will probably need a new carburetor diaphragm to run properly. Maybe David @factory can fix you up with a new diaphragm to get that engine running and tested. 

If it needs any parts I can ship them with the gearbox.

51 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Good, it has the key slots in it. A gearbox shaft with or without the keys will fit onto that engine shaft.

The pulley will probably need to be made by a machinist.

Your engine looks to be complete so that's good.  But it will probably need a new carburetor diaphragm to run properly. Maybe David @factory can fix you up with a new diaphragm to get that engine running and tested. 

If it needs any parts I can ship them with the gearbox.

super thank you for all this information if you have this gearbox with the centrifugal clutch if I understood correctly I am interested and if in addition I manage to have an improvement for my carburetor that would be great

34 minutes ago, seb T said:

super thank you for all this information if you have this gearbox with the centrifugal clutch if I understood correctly I am interested and if in addition I manage to have an improvement for my carburetor that would be great

I do have the correct gearbox and willing to sell it to you at reasonable cost in order to help you get that car going. I want to help you!

I do not want to sell it if you are not going to actually use it to get that car running because giving up this gearbox disables one my tools, the snowblower. I would prefer to keep if it never gets used on that car and just sits on a shelf because these particular gearboxes are not easy to find.

As far as making an engine mount, do you have the skills and tools to make something like that? Or any other missing parts like the pulley? I can probably help with some of that too if needed but measurements from the car and detailed pictures are required.

39 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

I do have the correct gearbox and willing to sell it to you at reasonable cost in order to help you get that car going. I want to help you!

I do not want to sell it if you are not going to actually use it to get that car running because giving up this gearbox disables one my tools, the snowblower. I would prefer to keep if it never gets used on that car and just sits on a shelf because these particular gearboxes are not easy to find.

As far as making an engine mount, do you have the skills and tools to make something like that? Or any other missing parts like the pulley? I can probably help with some of that too if needed but measurements from the car and detailed pictures are 

That would be really nice of you. I have the goal of June 2025 (little big mans) to finalize it and these pieces will help me greatly.
Yes, the design of the pulley and the engine support are within my capabilities but if anyone has any suggestions I am interested because I would like to get as close as possible to the original.
here is my email to exchange more easily
rallyes@hotmail.com

On 12/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, seb T said:

That would be really nice of you. I have the goal of June 2025 (little big mans) to finalize it and these pieces will help me greatly.
Yes, the design of the pulley and the engine support are within my capabilities but if anyone has any suggestions I am interested because I would like to get as close as possible to the original.
rallyes@hotmail.com

Email sent

I found an NOS shaft seal and installed it. The clutch, bearings and gears are in perfect condition and look like new. 

On 12/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, seb T said:

rallyes@hotmail.com

Rebuilt that engine and cleaned up that gearbox. New seal and gears look very nice.