Sign in to follow this  
Wallfish

Servicing the "Unservicable" type shafts

Frustrating to remove that small retaining ring which holds the thrust washer and races but it is possible.

There's a tapered shaft with the 2 slots that I would like to use for an engine but one of the washer races was in 3 pieces after opening it up. I have plenty of old chainsaw type shaft engines so thought I would just give it a try to remove those thrust washers. Frustrating to get it off but they do separate. Now the seal can be serviced too. It's the same seal as used for the flywheel side.

IMG_0560.jpg.31db19d52048b15a7fffd266b0e2ae91.jpg

Just to confirm, they are serviceable.

Changed shafts, new seal and used the better cleaner parts of each to make one good one with the shaft end I wanted.

IMG_0561.jpg.b3b846a533535739cdfd46ec931d8f03.jpg

Thought I remembered @factory posted a bulletin that these are simply to be replaced and not serviced. But maybe it's only a suggestion as I found some of those small retainer clips and a thrust washer for them in the NOS parts. That's an indication they are to be serviced.

The non-serviceable bit relates to a seal, the later type of seal that is bonded to metal ring, which can't be removed without destroying the feather valve assembly, due to the bearing being pressed in, blocking access. The service bulletin is S-E 093, which was added to this thread;

They eventually made the same change to the induction housing too, must have increased profits on service parts, why change two cheap seals, when they could sell a complete new feather valve & induction housing.

David