GAV694

Splined Coupler

Not sure which section to post this in so I thought I would try here.

I am restoring a Gutbrod rotovator but found a female-female splined coupler inside the gearbox has split due to the shaft inside it rusting and swelling up, I cant just weld it up as a oil seal runs on the outside of it so I need to find a replacement

It has 13 teeth and the shaft that fits into it measures 21.36mm in diameter, does anyone know if this is a standard size and if it is metric or imperial 

or even better where to get one

cheers

Could it be welded then ground and polished

That's a possibility if push comes to shove. A good V for the weld and  careful clean up. The Fife Ploughman will know about spares I should think.

Not sure where on the Shaft you have taken the measurement (Smooth part of shaft or across the O/D of the splines),

21.36mm converts to 0.8409" and the nearest fraction (over) that size is 27/32" (0.8437"), suspect also being central European make, it will be metric :dunno: .

I have no idea where you could find a likely replacement, but may be worth researching to see if the gearbox type/design was also used on other machinery as well. 

If you have no luck with a replacement, a good machine shop can accurately grind the O/Dia down, weld it, heat shrink and weld a sleeve on to re-establish the O/D and the Oil Seal faces. 

You can also obtain Shaft Sleeves that act as a new running face for the Oil Seal e.g.  www.sealmasters.co.uk.

It is also most likely the Crack will have to be cut/cleaned right through into the Spline groove, as I can see in your pic that the Crack is full of corrosion and expanded the piece making the shaft splines a 'looser' fit in the bore than is desirable . 

I imagine having a new one Broached will be OTT on cost. So there are ways to repair it.  Hope you get It sorted whichever way you choose. 

Thanks for the advice guys

I cant find a replacement so it looks like it will have to be repaired.

I think my initial thought that rust swelling had cracked it was wrong. it turns out that the shaft and gear that fit into the coupler are an interference (extremely tight) fit as the sides of the male splines are square and don't tapper to suit the coupler. I think I will alter the shafts to make them a 'close' fit and use some Loctite 628 or similar to hold it in place. This will hopefully prevent it from cracking again.

For dressing the OD I have a few options, the oil seal that was fitted had a 30mm bore but I can get one with the same OD and a 31mm bore so if I have a bit turned off the coupler and use the bigger oil seal I can have a sleeve made with a larger wall thickness and press it on. That's the theory anyway :)

Its not too clear but this is each end of the shaft, one edge with chamfers the other without

post-105-0-68302800-1401907942.jpgpost-105-0-73815700-1401907946.jpg