Timm

Engine sizes

I have now accumulated enough engines to mix and match for the outboard and chain saw. I have also got a mixed bag of different parts. Does anyone know how to identify the different motors?

a search online came up with this.  

a "Compact 1" engine, 1.25 x 1.032, 1.26 CID, 20.648 CC, rated at 3/4hp

a "Compact 2"   motor 1.25 x 1.096   1.34 CID, 21.959 CC (call it 22 cc) rated at .85 hp

a "Compact 2" also rated at 1 hp but no change in CID.

So how do I identify the different motors and is that last one for real? The only way I know to up the HP on an engine w/o increasing the displacement is to increase the RPM or torque which involves the governor and the carburetor. How do I know the difference?

The outboard motor moves my canoe at 5 mph and that is fine. But the chainsaw will always need more power so how to get it?

....and a picture just for fun.

post-327-0-61659100-1417962855.jpg

We don't really have any scientific information to identify engines and it would take a lot of work to break them down. Up to this point, I do not know of anybody willing to take on the task. As for output, I just don't think there is much of a measurable difference in any of the hp ratings. Wallfish?

I don't know either, that technical stuff is your area. :D

I just think they put a different decal on the same engine to increase the HP.  I haven't noticed any major differences other than the engines with the 10mm plug hole are the early engines.

To get the most power out of your engines, I'd suggest a rebuild with new rings and seals. Making it "tight" with the best compression and no case leaks should give you the best performance. It will also make your engines more dependable and start easier.