Simon Taylor

Drake & Fletcher models info needed 1924-ish please.

Hi all,

I guess as with most new guys, I am here hoping to find out information about my Stationary engine. (well, it belongs to a friend now, but we sort of share it!)

The Lister engine is unusual, in that it is a Lister B type, Spec 11 (Specification 11), believed to be the only spec 11 preservation.

It was built 30th January 1924, and dispatched to Drake & Fletcher on the 7th February.

It seems that D & F became a limited company during the mid 1920's, but my engine has the earlier plate.

2hxylc.jpg

Above is the plate from the 1924 Lister B

2mdp10g.jpg

Above is a later plate from the sprayer at the paddock wood hop farm (well it was there in 2002)

The only surviving D & F parts are the brass plate and also a chain drive sprocket. I have been trying to ascertain which model of sprayer it would have been attached to, if indeed; it was part of a sprayer set. I have included a photo of the lister B, plus few photos from the internet of various types of D & F sprayer sets.

My aim it to get an idea of what the original setup for this engine would have been and maybe even 'photo shop' a picture of the single flywheel B on the correct type of machinery. 

343hpux.jpg

The Lister B 11

282rmx.jpg

The Sprayer at the hop farm, date unknown, but the twin flywheel engine is later than 1925. It is a three piston pump model, with the misitier plate on the back.

zkinte.jpg

255qv5l.jpg

This one is 1936, with a smaller Lister D engine driving a two piston pump.

2mxeq9u.jpg

2cmngbk.jpg

Again, a more powerful engine, driving a 3 piston pump. My Lister B is 3.5 horsepower, so I expect it would have driver a 3 piston pump, but any information or even possibilities would be appreciated.

29c98qh.jpg

Thanks for letting me in your group,

Simon Taylor

hi simon , just to get straight.......... you are looking for the date of your lister or looking for a date and model of a sprayer that it would be fitted to? is the sprayer any of the above photos but you just need the model? maybe pm me your phone number to make things a bit clearer.

Welcome to Mom Simon , look forward to hearing about your sprayers

I particularly am interested in this as I also have a D & F orchard sprayer that I am hoping to get restored one day .( fancy a job Restoring her for me ) . Here are some pics

post-5-0-98746900-1423128065_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-44854900-1423128090_thumb.jpgpost-5-0-66652700-1423128119_thumb.jpg

Hi Vegi Kev, the engine is 1924, Was after info on what D & F equipment it would have been fitted on, as it is a powerful engine with a toothed sprocket. I was guessing a high pressure 3 piston sprayer.

Was hoping for pictures of the D & F range, 1924, or pictures of any survivors from that period.

hi Neil,

Would love to have a bash, but am currently in france for a few months!

I assume with a Lister D that you have a two piston pump? Any idea what age your sprayer is?

I have seen a photo of it before, but for some reason I thought it was a Weeks sprayer! It certainly would be great to get it going again!

Simon, I'm in no rush to get it restored ,so when you get back is fine .

It is showing a drake & fletcher pressure gauge , so I thought the whole thing was a D&F.

But then it could be a weeks????????

No I assumed for some reason that it was weeks, but then, they were both from Maidstone, used similar parts, even the brass nameplates were both oval!

I guess it's Drake & Fletcher!

you seem to be missing the two plates (see the 1936 one above) on top of the tank, where the Mistifier plate was positioned on some sprayers.