Joe the small engine man

what are the best tyres for grip for my wheel horse?

Hi Joe, you need some AG tyres by the sounds of it. Much better than grass tyres for grip.

Wheel weights do help with traction but they can be expensive to buy. As you need to pull your grass tyres off the rims to fit AG's, you could always fit inner tubes at the same time and fill the tubes about 85% full of water to get extra weight and thus traction.

I used to have "ballasted" as it's known tyres on my 312-8, the difference in traction was amazing..

There's a very good thread on our sister forum RedSquare about filled tyres verses wheel weights, click on the link below.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/55523-wheel-weights-verses-liquid-filled/

I hope this helps..

Your welcome Joe, and thanks for watching my vids :thumbs:

You can use filled tyres in the winter but it's best to drain them and refill with a 50% water/screen wash mix to stop the water freezing. You can use a water/anti-freeze mix but screen wash is much less harmful to the environment should it leak out than anti-freeze :)

You definitely want R1 tread AG tyres.

I would fill the tyres as well.  Here in The Colonies we have a product called Rim Guard.  It's a beet juice derivative and weighs 11lbs/gal. as opposed to the water based fluids that are roughly 8 lbs/gal.

You might check with the various agricultural dealers and see if there is something similar in the UK.

If you use a water based fluid I'd recommend the winter type window washer fluid, and fill them to the valve stem with the stem at the 12:00 position.

You want some airspace in the tyre to give a bit of a flex and cushion.  If you fill them 100% the tractor will ride like it has steel wheels.

There is another option as well, and that's a Calcium Chloride solution.  It will had a lot of weight, but I would avoid it like the plague.  It's very corrosive and will eat up the wheels from the inside.

A bit late I know but you definitely want ags and in my personal I'd go with wheel weights, if it's a tractor that ploughs all the time then you can ballast them, but if you are doing other jobs such as mowing the good thing about wheel weights are that they are removable because you don't always want the weight. Just an idea. If you are struggling to find wheel weights John Deere make ones that fit the same rim as a wheel horse they are green but I'm sure you could spray then if it bother you that much! Let us know what you go for.

Tom