Rayp

Wheelhorse front wheel shims

Does anyone know where to buy .050" thick and .015" thin shim washers to fit the front wheel 3/4" axles on Wheelhorse tractors? There are many suppliers, but they all have minimum quantities of 100!

Hello Ray, I can't remember what Model you may have?. Does it have Bolt/Washer (pre 76ish) or 'C' Clip (post 76) Retainers for the wheels?.

I may have enough shims to sort your dilemma. Good to see your trying to set them up correctly :thumbs:

Hello again Richard,

Thank you for your reply and offer of help - I always seem to in your debt, because you are so knowledgeable and helpful.  I have a C 160 Automatic (with a 36" rear discharge mowing deck) which I am slowly rebuilding (hopefully correctly!).  My Tractor has the 'C' clip retainers on the front axles and if you are able to spare some shims I would be most grateful and happy to reimburse you.

Ok , If I remember rightly, the manual says there should be a 5thou end float and the Washer/Shim should be on the outside by the  'C' Clip.

I have 1 good 50thou, 1 not so good 50Thou and 4- 11thou shims , all 3/4 bore, but the 11 thou shims are 1.1/8" O/D, but fine to use. Let me know what you need via PM and your Address and I'll stick them in the post for you no charge.   

post-129-0-12162500-1438344717_thumb.jpgpost-129-0-84048600-1438344750_thumb.jpg

Hello again Richard,

Having removed the front wheel bearings and given them an initial soak in petrol I found that I either had 2 sealed bearings and 2 unsealed bearings (PLEASE SEE ATTACHED PHOTOS) or that the seals had disappeared from the 2 ‘unsealed’ bearings and I hope I have not damaged the sealed bearings by the petrol immersion. 3 of the bearings turn smoothly and quietly whereas the fourth turns not so smoothly with a slight grinding noise and I assume this bearing needs replacement. The ‘sealed’ bearings are marked as made in the USA and I assume that I will not be able to re-pack them. Yours advice would again be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Ray

Hello Ray, The standard bearings for the front wheels have only one Shield on the outside/Flanged side, so that the inside is greased via the nipple (Zerk).

Replacement bearings can have double shields, but do not require greasing via the nipple for their life.

You can carefully remove and dispose of the Inner Shield of the 'Double Shielded' bearings and clean out, re pack with grease if you wish. You can then grease later via the Nipple (Zerk).

The bearings themselves are not best quality (i.e. precision ground) and are light/medium duty pressed/folded metal type.  

I purchased mine from the U.S. some time ago at a reasonable price.

If you need to buy replacements/spares, have a good look around Auction Sites and Google search for best price/quality. 

The good ones for example are made by Heim in U.S., but I couldn't find them at the time.

Part numbers are Toro 110513 or 251210. 3/4" bore x 1.3/8" flanged single outer (or double) Shield.

I have a couple of (tired) used ones if you get real desperate.   

As Richard says, they are far from precision!

I would just give them a good clean and pack them with grease. We've had a lot more hours than I imagined from ours after cleaning...

Even now they are a little rough, but functional!