moogie

Gilson / Montgomery Ward

Would anyone have any information on these tractors or what the parts availabilty would be, we think we have found one.

My mate an myself went to see an "old garden tractor" this evening but when we got there the lights in the shed wouldn't work so ended up stumbleing about in the dark with only our mobile phones to see where we were going. The only name we can see is "American" on the bonnet everything else seems to be painted over. Of course i forgot to take photos but what we could see it might be a Squire 12.

Any info would be very helpfull, Noel.

I have all the owner/operator, and parts manuals for Gilson/MW from 1965-1975, maybe later. They are a very well built machine of their own design, not a copy of another manufacturers drive train. They run Briggs engines for the most part, later in the 70's there were some model MW's made by Simplicity, and in the early 1960's a few MW models were made by Bolens and Simplicity? By and large though from the mid 1960's to the mid 1980 MW's tractors were Gilson made tractors. On a side note, late model Ford GTs after 1985 were also Gilson made. Engine parts shouldn't be a problem with the 12 hp Briggs. If it isn't froze up there isn't much else that some oil and a good working might not help.

I bought a Montgomery Ward Squire 10 earlier this year but sold it due to logistical complications. A pity as it was all original and running. Alain is a source of great info on these tractors.

Here's a photo of the one that got away.....

Look forward to more updates on your discovery.

Edit: if you look in the post 'Now for something different' it's all about the MW.

post-259-0-29235100-1448793535_thumb.jpe