harryt

my new massey

Harry, I'm still very perplexed by the tractor, I'm still wondering about the foot pegs in the pre restored pictures and the foot treads in later pics, please tell me about that, did you find a set of treads or did they come with the machine? Also very perplexing is the grill, it is definitely a Massey 7 grill, I'm wondering if the alteration were done at a shop, as the number rebadge looks pretty good, or it was done by an enthusiast. It looks as though someone has removed a small amount of tin from the side to accommodate the chrome silencers inlet pipe, but it is difficult to tell from here in Oklahoma. Did you receive the Owner/Parts/Service manuals I sent?

The new footrests look like they might be bolted onto the old ones.

They used the same braces. Two bolts secure the foot rests to the braces, I believe the running boards might have used the same braces, if not they sure did a nice job make them look factory. However, I made a mistake in the beginning of the date of manufacturer and I forgot to correct information that related to build dates. If indeed your tractor is a 1973 Massey MF-7 and not a 1968 or 1969, then it would have had running boards, not foot rests. I am going to assume that the earlier pictures might have been supplied by the original owner? or were saved from the eBay ad?

I was going through all the manuals I gave to Harry in a PM and noticed the engine on the Massey MF-8 was a HM-80, not a HH-80. Funny thing is I heard not long ago that this was backwards and that the HM-80 was not for side load applications and was not used on the Massey MF-8, but that does not seem to be the case at all