JamesBe1

Welder Opinions

So I want to pick up a welder that won't break my budget. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  What should I care about mostly for meduim/light welding?

You know what else, Harbor Freight is having a big sale ending Sunday June 9th.  Good time to visit them if you have one near by.

Are you thinking Mig or arc?  110, or 220?

Not sure.  Mig if I can affored it, otherwise arc.  Is it worth paying extra for the gas flow?

I see that there are comparatively few 110 welders on the market compared to 220.  My barn is wired for 110, but I have been thinking about putting in a 220 outlet or two.  But, my shed where I do a lot of work is only 110.  Is it that much of a disadvantage having a 110 welder?

You know what else, Harbor Freight is having a big sale ending Sunday June 9th.  Good time to visit them if you have one near by.

Yeah, I have one near where I work.  Do you think they are any good?

What do you think I should get in the $400 - $600 range?

Say my typical use is to weld a patch onto a 48" deck.  What would I need?

I am absolutely thrilled with my Miller 140 Auto-Set. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00234

I know I didn't need to spend that much, but I wanted a good reliable machine that was supported by my local welding supply store.

You can figure on an additional +/- $150 if you buy your own bottle of shielding gas. I have never welded with flux core wire. (and never will)

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe one advantage to using flux core is welding outside.  Never used Flux core but that is what a friend told me.  Mig with gas is a cleaner weld but can't be used very well outside because it will give a crappy weld with a slight breeze.  I know at my shop at work, I need to close the bay doors to weld with the Mig/gas.  Just a thought if you plan on using it outside/remotely.

I'm also looking for a Mig but am going to go ahead and get a 220 so I can weld thicker metal. 

If you have a Mississippi Welders Supply near you, it wouldn't hurt to stop in there.  They sometimes have trade in equipment or stuff that people ordered but never picked up that they sell very reasonably.

I seen Harbor Freight mentioned earlier so I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.  A couple years back I bought the cheap 110volt flux core welder (I think it was under $125) and have nothing but good things to say about it.  I know the guys who weld everyday may bash me and rightfully so, but for the limited amount I weld it works great.  So I guess one question you need to ask yourself is how much do you plan to use it.  If its limited use, take a look at this one. 

I had a Campbell?Hausefield for years. I paid less than $350 for it. It was MIG/Flux. I was good but I could never get real good welds. I recently bought a Hobart and have been able to lay down a much better bead. I do gas weld outside but only on calm days. Doing body work with out a garage. Flux wire is too thick for the thin metal. Lincoln, Miller or Hobart for the 110 machines. The Lincoln tombstone for an arc welder and are usually around 100 bucks on Craigs list. Mig is much easier to learn on.Good site http://weldingweb.com/  Jim

I bought a cheap flux core welder from tractor supply. I'm just learning to weld and this thing is great for learning. Once I figured things out, metal accually stuck to other metal!

i bought a used miller 175 mig welder about 6 years ago.it's been a workhorse for me. i have ran numerous 25lbs spools of .025 wire through it with little problems.i also have a campbell hausfield flux core welder that has been good also. i have a lincoln stick welder that is older than i am and never misses a beat.