Oldjimturbine

Ohlsson rice type 276

I just purchased another Ohlsson rice 1hp type 276 which doesn't have the gear reduction.  I'm looking to use it for a bicycle friction drive unit, just wanted to get some past experiences of shunting a magneto motor to shut down the motor.  Can the magnetos handle that, because I will be shorting out a coil.  If I can't get the gears, I may use it to replace the old motor I have for tiny tiger generator.  I have a k&s rear friction motor, called the bike machine.  A small Mitsubishi engine 1.5hp t15 m-2c, that I cant find any I formation about on the internet about it, with a larger float carb  looks like its from the 70's, when safety wasn't an issue..  It has a stop button attached to the engine itself that I will remote if I decide to use it.  The instructions  mention not to use the front brake when the friction drive is in use so stopping is unsafe with a front brake.  I also have to remember to pull the lever up, which is behind the seat, hoping releasing the throttle control will slow it down to stop.  I will post some pictures because it is in like new condition, the former owner smart enough not to use it after reading the instructions I guess.

Yes, you can connect a shut off switch to ground the points. There is a little threaded stud on the back of the plate which is used to connect the condenser. Connect your wire to that. Some engines come with a switch or just a metal tab which grounds it out for shut down.

Apparently the Chicken Power bicycle engine used the Type 181 engine, this has a single reduction gearbox with clutch, which gives a maximum output speed of 3300rpm instead of 6300rpm. Unfortunately I seem to be missing the Type 276 info from my book.

The Chicken Power kits do appear for sale occasionally.

David

Thank you both for the info.  I couldnt find any info on the 276 either except someone had it connected to a boat that was sold. I missed an auction not too long ago for one of those orline bike kits, I didn't wan to spend as much as the winner.  I decided to try a friction wheel that you could connect any small engine to, and swap out quickly if the engine went bad.  I want to use an ohlsson rice engine first.  I also like the bike machine, and will try it around my home to see how well it runs.  I like to ride the bike without the engine, but sometimes I may need to make some time, and I can't ride fast like I used to.   I will put some pictures up of the ohlsson rice engines I have.