Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Hayterette Engine Options

I seem to have adopted a few Hayterettes of late. I have restored one and fitted a good sprint engine. The cutting disc fitted fine and it all looked very smart. Pulling the starter rope is a nightmare as the sheer weight of the cutting disc does not get enough momentum to fire up unless you are a heavy weight wrestler. Can any of you chaps suggest a good replacement modern engine that does not have the same issues. Many thanks.

PS If anyone needs a good solid Hayterette deck ( or two ) let me know.  

Very odd - short of spinach?  I fitted lots of Sprints over the years and never experienced any issues  - just a good steady pull with no snatching. Even the Professionals with the 5HP BS require just a steady pull . I've just sold a tidy 3.5hp BS one dated 1969 with points ignition and  the fuel tank below the carb - from standing over night, two slow pulls with the ignition killed to lift the fuel, and then one on 1/4 throttle and away she went. I find that the cutting disc works for you rather than against you.

Having re engine a few hayterettes, id suspect either something was rubbing or have you got a bit of hydraulic lock in the cylinder?

I did take the disc off, fitted a boss from a smaller Hayter and an 18 " blade and off it went ? The disc had two coats of Hammerite on it before I fitted the new blades, may weigh a bit more. ?