Ghosty

Screw and bolt Sizes

Hi All,

I have a silly question about the screw and bolt sizes in the O & R 3/4 hp engines, it may be common knowledge to you but I have only seen one other of these and that was a long time

ago.

The case screws, carby mount screws, and the output shaft screw. All appear to be 32 pitch thread, but I no longer have any reference material to imperial sized screws and bolts as I

have only used metric for the last 35 years.

Any help would be helpfull.

Cheers

Andrew

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

That's not a silly question at all, there were a few different types of imperial thread commonly used in the UK in the past, but the O&R engines use American UNC & UNF threads which weren't used much over here (apart from some computer parts & connectors, some of which still use them). UNC/UNF is also known as ANC/ANF but sellers often only use the number or fraction and the number of threads per inch e.g. #10 x 32tpi.

Below is a chart I use, created from several pages in an old reference book. All the threads apart from the spark-plug are either UNC or UNF, the spark-plug thread is metric.

59355af1192f1_UNCUNFThreadsDrillSizes.thumb.jpg.19cc2d984a07292a410d2b02c6945c9c.jpg

The starter/blower housing & carb mounting screws are both #6 x 32tpi UNC, these screws have a Fillister head.

And the power output shaft (tapered version) is tapped #10 x 32tpi UNF, there is also a D shaped output shaft with no hole found on some engines.

David

Edit

Here is a PDF of the thread chart, as the picture above has been automatically reduced in size by the forum software making it harder to read.

UNC UNF Threads & Drill Sizes.pdf

David

Edited by factory

Thank you David, Would hate to damage the OEM parts, as it looks like it has done very little running. Will have to hunt down some taps so I will be able to make up a carby adaptor.

I have saved the charts for further support.

Cheers

Andrew

I've built up a good selection of UNC/UNF taps & dies over the years (for repairing my both collection of O&R engines and vintage HP test equipment), most of them were bought second-hand at reasonable prices from the stalls at steam & vintage shows. It can take quite a bit of searching though if they are mixed up in boxes, as they usually are.

I have also found a few suitable screws (for the earlier O&R engines that use slotted screws) as well, usually on the ex military surplus stall. Webhead has helped with supplying the Fillister head Philips screws that are found on most O&R engines.

The starter/blower housing screws are the most often to be missing, or damaged by people using the wrong type or size of screwdriver..

David